General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:28 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by extrememoto
Greetings all, finally had the court appearance, the cop never showed, case dismissed.
Thank you all for the advise!
Congrats but sorry you had to waste your time. Did you file a complaint with his supervisor?

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:31 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Great that it all went away.
Did you go about this alone or with a ticket lawyer?

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gruamach
The "title" of that says "centered" but I don't see that requirement anywhere in the actual statutes. Plus, as I said above, they can't contradict a factory, DOT-approved bracket. (and yes, the HD side mounted brackets all do have the white light, as that's a DOT requirement)
If someone hasn't already corrected this, here goes. Municipal ordinances, and State statutes, can be more strict than any federal law or regulation. They just can't be more lenient.

An example of this is the varied helmet laws from State to State. You're information is misleading and incorrect.

As stated, the OP needs to show the court that it's a factory installed item, and have current state statutes available to show the court.

Old 02-06-2013 | 12:42 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
If someone hasn't already corrected this, here goes. Municipal ordinances, and State statutes, can be more strict than any federal law or regulation. They just can't be more lenient.

An example of this is the varied helmet laws from State to State. You're information is misleading and incorrect.

As stated, the OP needs to show the court that it's a factory installed item, and have current state statutes available to show the court.
...if you read the whole thing, the OP states he had his day in court and the cop didnt show

Old 02-06-2013 | 02:37 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by extrememoto
Greetings all, finally had the court appearance, the cop never showed, case dismissed.
Thank you all for the advise!
Congratulation.
Just one question? What was the original reason given for the stop?
If it was originally for the plate, it was an illegal stop. He made the stop without Probable Cause.
I would go to his station and file a complaint of harassment. And put a bolt in the mount when riding.
This way you can remove the bolt when stopped. But if any cop tries to fold it, it will not fold.

Old 02-06-2013 | 03:57 AM
troopermike
Novice

Carrying a pistol through Illinois is kind of tricky. Unfortunately we have no CCW here due to Chicago influences. Best advice I can offer up is case it up, totally empty, in one saddlebag and put magazine(s) in another saddlebag.

Extrememoto, sorry you had a bad experience with an LEO. In IL we can lay hands on a vehicle to check equipment, etc. I have a 2010 Wide Glide and it has a similar bracket.

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:24 AM
extrememoto
|
1st Gear

Dew Me, I have not filed a complaint.
IM, A traffic lawyer went to court for me.
Ultra89rider, the cop stopped me only for the license plate. Just to be clear, the plate was NOT folded and it was clearly visible, some members in this thread thought the plate was folded when the cop pulled me over. I have since put a bolt preventing the plate from folding, harassment no more!

Thank you all.

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:46 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I read half of the posts, since my '13 FXS came with a side mount, foldable plate bracket. But honestly, I haven't tried to fold it since I bought it. I figured it locked for good when it was folded out.

Old 02-06-2013 | 10:27 AM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain

What a damn shame you had to waste any of your time on this bullsh*t... Glad you got it dropped though. I understand that it was in fact illegal, but you would think any LEO with a real sense of responsibility for the safety of his community (in Dade county at that...) would have better things to do.

Old 02-06-2013 | 01:48 PM
Shortcircuit
Cruiser

15 pages of reading and the cop didn't show..
I think you should go back to Miami and get another ticket so we can see what the judge has to say..lol

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder