General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012 | 07:48 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sauceman
No nanny state here

cheers
Please wake up, you're not even a citizen, you're just a subject.

Old 11-25-2012 | 07:49 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by brenn
Then you must be living in a completely different Canada than the one north of the U.S.

Old 11-25-2012 | 08:56 AM
Sauceman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Markk9
Please wake up, you're not even a citizen, you're just a subject.
Wow, this really shows your ignorance.

Definition of CITIZEN

: an inhabitant of a city or town; especially: one entitled to the rights and privileges of a freeman

a: a member of a state
b: a native or naturalized person who owes allegiance to a government and is entitled to protection from it

: a civilian as distinguished from a specialized servant of the state

cheers

Old 11-25-2012 | 11:25 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by extrememoto
Greetings,
I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon ride down here in Miami FL today. Next thing you know I saw blue and red lights flashing from my rear view mirrors. The cop approached my bike and started folding the license plate and rudely asked me "who installed this, this is illegal". I tried to explain it is standard factory equipment from HD but he didn't want to hear about it. He issued me a citation which requires me to show up in court. Has anyone experienced this? I am still stunned several hours later. I don't understand why the cop gave me a hard time over something so ridiculous and if it is indeed illegal how can HD sell tons of bikes with the same set up?
Do I stand a chance in court? Need some advise.

Thank you in advance.

2011 v rod muscle.
2012 Iron 883.

LEO was having a bad day & took it out on you... Get the spec sheet for your bike, go to court & make him look bad (if he shows).

Old 11-25-2012 | 12:26 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Ok, so now we're talking about smoking dope, let me throw yet another subject at you. What do you guys with a CCW (CPL) do with your hand guns when riding through Illinois?
I carry it in a saddlebag or in the windshield bag...which is where it goes when riding, anyway. Defense, if needed, at that point, becomes the Castle Law, which extends to vehicles, including motorhomes and motorcycles.

Old 11-25-2012 | 01:50 PM
aquadave
Road Master

Jury trial or you will lose. the judge is paid by the same company (town) as the cop and they know each other. First they have to prove it's aftermarket illegal equipment. second object to the cops testimony as soon as he takes the stand on "foundation" Ask the basic questions of where did he go to motorcycle school, his mechanic's degrees stuff like that. If he doesn't have those thing he's not qualified to testify about illegal equip. If you don't object he can say what ever he wants and you will lose.

Old 11-25-2012 | 03:32 PM
chamokie
Supporter

Take pictures of factory installed plate holders and some factory brochures. Go to the prosecutor and explain the situation.
As a former prosecutor for a PD I can say with certainty the prosecutor will nol process the compliant. Do not have to involve the officer that wrote the orig ticket.
If push come to shove go to court, plead not guilty, the judge will schedule a court date which can be 30 days in advance. This will buy you time to make the necessary presentation.

Old 11-25-2012 | 03:37 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
Seems like a few of you guys have it right, and a few of you think that complaining to a supervisor and "fighting this bs" will help...........

From one of your responses....

The new law amended Florida Statute 316.2085(3) to state: The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.

So the Florida statute states, clear as crystal, that the plate may NOT be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. Your plate was mounted on a mount that is capable of being flipped up........where was the officer wrong ?????
The officer was wrong in putting his hands on ot and moving it back and forth wthout permission. It is STILL private property.

Old 11-25-2012 | 04:52 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Heres a fun story that is somewhat related...maybe.

The P, me, and a hangaround were riding through a neighborhood. Cop pulls us over and tells us we cant ride side-by-side, its reckless driving. We treat LEO like mushrooms - feed them **** and keep them in the dark, but we are professional in our encounters as we understand most of them are just doing their jobs.

anyway, the cop was wrong. the Communistwealth of Virginia repealed the 2 abreast law July of this year. had we been written a ticket, we would have easily won in court.

your case, while frustrating, is a bit hairy. you have an outcome yet?

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:19 PM
extrememoto
|
1st Gear

Greetings all, finally had the court appearance, the cop never showed, case dismissed.
Thank you all for the advise!

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder