General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012 | 09:59 AM
louie c
Tourer

Well, good luck in what ever you decide.
I was in law enforcement for twenty years and it all depends on what the local municipality law reads.
If you go to court with the factory specs. MAYBE the judge will be lenient.
No way to tell. But be respectful,talk slow and look the judge in the eyes while speaking.
I think you have a good chance of having the summons dismissed.
Also let the dealer where you bought the bike know what happened.
Lots of times they will reimburse you for the summons.

Old 11-22-2012 | 12:05 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1980FLHShovel
With budget cuts all across the country, making them show up in court takes them off the street where they should be. I'm all for cops doing their job but BS tickets just **** me off. NJ passed a no cell phone law years ago and all the cops that pass you doing 90 in a 65 are talking on the phone. The badge doesn't make them better than you or me. Most cops I know wouldn't waste their time with tickets like this. *** hat ones will every day.
LEO are exempt for the cell phone ban, please read your state's law on the subject.

Old 11-22-2012 | 12:18 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by Markk9
LEO are exempt for the cell phone ban, please read your state's law on the subject.
What ? Do cops think criminals have police radio scanners ? You think that cops don't want the guys that they're looking for knowing what they're doing ?

There are other reasons, too. Even some people who hate cops are smart enough to figure it out.

Old 11-22-2012 | 01:34 PM
davidearlcox
Tourer

Here's the way it works. Dealer sells you the bike and charges extra for the folding license plate holder he installed. You ride off on the bike. Dealer gives a heads up to his brother in law, the police officer. Police officer pulls you and several other offenders over during the next few months who bought bikes from this dealer and cites you, then gets promoted for doing a great job. Police officer pays kickbacks to the dealer for helping him get promoted. There may or may not be a judge involved as well.

That's the way it works, folks.

And hold on to your wallets, cause this sort of thing is going to get a lot worse very soon, I guarantee.

Last edited by davidearlcox; 11-22-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added to the post.
Old 11-22-2012 | 02:24 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1980FLHShovel
Even if you think you were in the wrong go to court. It wastes the cops time, the courts time and I'm all for that with these BS tickets. Last time I got one several street signs went missing................
Great idea then the court can add costs to the fine.

Old 11-22-2012 | 03:12 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

It's a lot like the helmet laws- Caveat Emptor "Buyer Beware"

Have H-D reimburse you since they knowingly sold an illegal product.

Old 11-22-2012 | 04:28 PM
T2K5
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidearlcox
Here's the way it works. Dealer sells you the bike and charges extra for the folding license plate holder he installed. You ride off on the bike. Dealer gives a heads up to his brother in law, the police officer. Police officer pulls you and several other offenders over during the next few months who bought bikes from this dealer and cites you, then gets promoted for doing a great job. Police officer pays kickbacks to the dealer for helping him get promoted. There may or may not be a judge involved as well.

That's the way it works, folks.

And hold on to your wallets, cause this sort of thing is going to get a lot worse very soon, I guarantee.
OP is not talking about a item the dealer installed. The folding tag bracket in question comes installed from HD.

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:04 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by Larry64
Look, go to court. Dress nice but not a suit. Bring a brochure with a pic of the bike. Talk nice to the judge and explain that's the way HD made it. You had no idea the state would let the manufacture title a bike that was not up to the states motor vehicle code and you will take care of it.
probebly some of the better advice in this thread.

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:30 PM
Sauceman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Larry64
Look, go to court. Dress nice but not a suit. Bring a brochure with a pic of the bike. Talk nice to the judge and explain that's the way HD made it. You had no idea the state would let the manufacture title a bike that was not up to the states motor vehicle code and you will take care of it.
Originally Posted by NSCoyote
probebly some of the better advice in this thread.

cheers

Old 11-22-2012 | 05:39 PM
davidearlcox
Tourer

Originally Posted by T2K5
OP is not talking about a item the dealer installed. The folding tag bracket in question comes installed from HD.
Is the factory mount on the Iron 883 designed to be foldable, or did the bolt vibrate loose and let it flop backwards? I was just on Harley's website and the 2013 Irons feature the side mount (horizontal) but doesn't say anything about being foldable. I believe the OP has a 2012, but probably is the same.

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder