General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012 | 06:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Markk9
FL can't ticket a TX bike for a FL only rule.
A Florida LEO CAN ticket a bike registered in any other state if the vehicle is operated on Florida a roadway. It makes no difference that the equipment is legal in the registered vehicles home state.

Thats like saying the speed limit is 70mph where my plates are from so I can go 70mph in every state. NOPE

Man, it aint no wonder that some guys have shitty contacts with the cops when they're stopped.

Old 11-22-2012 | 06:40 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
A Florida LEO CAN ticket a bike registered in any other state if the vehicle is operated on Florida a roadway. It makes no difference that the equipment is legal in the registered vehicles home state.

Thats like saying the speed limit is 70mph where my plates are from so I can go 70mph in every state. NOPE

Man, it aint no wonder that some guys have shitty contacts with the cops when they're stopped.
Your wrong...........................

Old 11-22-2012 | 06:50 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gruamach

I'd still file a complaint no matter what. Overzealous traffic guys who don't know the regs they're trying to enforce need a slap on the wrist some times....maybe they'll force him to take a class on motorcycle equipment and regulations as part of his Continuing Ed. requirements.
Oh crap, don't do that, imagine all the stuff the guy will learn about he can then use to really screw with bikers for.

Old 11-22-2012 | 07:32 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markk9
FL can't ticket a TX bike for a FL only rule.
The federal law governing this is murky at best, it should technically be possible to have such a ticket thrown out for an out of state rider that is legal in his own state based on entrapments as there are no barriers between states and so travel is free and clear. However you would need to have the case heard in federal court not state court, so if you are wealthy and pedantic go for it, otherwise pay the ticket is the rule of thumb.

Old 11-22-2012 | 07:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

After reading 11 pages of opinions,I hope the OP posts the verdict!

Old 11-22-2012 | 07:48 AM
T2K5
Advanced

Hire a ticket defense lawyer. You can hire one here in Florida for $60-$80. They will fight it for you, and you will not have to show up in court. The lawyer will most likely get the ticket dismissed. If the lawyer can't get it dismissed, then you probably couldn't get it dismissed either. I am not saying people on Harley's or cruisers don't do anything wrong, but this law was first targeted at the sportbike crowd. Crazy thing is a tag mounting violation used to be a non moving violation, and still is in most states. Here in Florida the law as it was first passed was $1000.00 first offense, and the third offense was a $10,000.00 fine and a third degree felony. When the sportbike crowd complained, not too many listened. When it started to affect the lawyers and other well to do people, mostly on Harley's and customs, things started to change.

Old 11-22-2012 | 08:03 AM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser

Even if you think you were in the wrong go to court. It wastes the cops time, the courts time and I'm all for that with these BS tickets. Last time I got one several street signs went missing................

Old 11-22-2012 | 08:11 AM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1980FLHShovel
Even if you think you were in the wrong go to court. It wastes the cops time, the courts time and I'm all for that with these BS tickets. Last time I got one several street signs went missing................

Ummm. Are you probably lining the cops pocket with the O.T. he/she is getting to appear? I'm failing to see how it is wasting the cops time.

Old 11-22-2012 | 08:18 AM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser

With budget cuts all across the country, making them show up in court takes them off the street where they should be. I'm all for cops doing their job but BS tickets just **** me off. NJ passed a no cell phone law years ago and all the cops that pass you doing 90 in a 65 are talking on the phone. The badge doesn't make them better than you or me. Most cops I know wouldn't waste their time with tickets like this. *** hat ones will every day.

Old 11-22-2012 | 09:25 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior

Look, go to court. Dress nice but not a suit. Bring a brochure with a pic of the bike. Talk nice to the judge and explain that's the way HD made it. You had no idea the state would let the manufacture title a bike that was not up to the states motor vehicle code and you will take care of it.

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder