General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm winter gloves Are leather gloves warmer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM
AmericanMuscle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm winter gloves Are leather gloves warmer?

I want some warm gloves. Before I buy mitts was wondering if leather would be warmer since it cuts the wind. Will mitts or leather gloves keep my hands warmer while riding?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using these gloves (they are expensive) during the cold season. I think they work pretty good overall, however... I also have the batwing and heated grips. Needless to say all of this working together does a great job. BTW, these gloves aren't that thick and you stay in-tune with the bike.

In the past I used a "thick" winter glove without the batwing and no heated grips and my hand still got cold. IMO the problem with a thick "mitten" type glove is that you may not have a good feel on the grips, clutch, etc. like you would with finger type gloves. Personally, I would save mittens for snowmobiles or other activities.

Another alternative is to get a good pair of heated gloves, especially if you don't have the batwing/heated grips.

Last edited by MADHOG; 11-16-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Keeper01
Tourer

I wear insulated deer skin gauntlets. They're warm and not too bulky.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
BootsAndPants
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather or fabric gloves will block wind if the leather is heavy enough, or the fabric is designed to block wind. Sounds obvious, but some leathers and fabrics breath, some don't at all. Leather will not necessarily be warmer. It's all about the insulation on the glove. What I find works the best is gloves with most/all of the insulation on the back of the hand, and only a little to none on the palm. This keeps my hand warm in very cold temps, yet still gives me the dexterity and tactile feedback I want while wearing big gloves. This can be done either in leather or fabric gloves. Most of my gloves have a leather palm and a fabric back. I've put gloves to the test in much more extreme environments than any motorcycle will see and I swear by this glove configuration. What works for me may not work for everyone else though, so YMMV.

Given the same material and insulation, mittens will be warmer than gloves...period. Unless I'm absolutely forced to do otherwise, I will wear gloves over mitts. I like the dexterity too much. Plus, how are you going to give others the one fingered salute with mitts?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

The final say in comfort will always be heated wear! Nothing quite like riding around in the upper 20's - lower 30's with heated gloves and for that matter jacket and other heated wear. They're a little bit pricey but are a final say in comfort!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Yaamt

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been using welders gloves with extra pair of 100 gram gloves slipped inside, but they are waaaay bulky. Not as tough as I used to be, circulation not good, getting old. I side with the heated crew. Now I have to buy new gear to go deer hunting. Really bites when you can't stay warm, no fun at all.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I wear insulated leather gloves. The only gloves I had that were warmer were snowmobile mittens and were a little awkward on the bike.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer

I wear wool liners inside deerskin leather gloves, and have heated grips, but usually never higher than a 2 out of 5. The thickest leather won't help if you can't create an air barrier between your skin and the outer layer. Skin moisture will transmit the cold from the leather.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These...

http://gerbing.com/products/Gloves/G3.php

End of story!

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Quick Reply: Warm winter gloves Are leather gloves warmer?