Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your price range for a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your price range for a helmet?

I was cruising the HD site looking at helmets, because it is time for me to buy a new one. I like their new carbon fiber half, but it is $225. Sticker shock!

How much are you guys willing to spend on a quality helmet, not a non DOT beanie or similar?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Default RE: What is your price range for a helmet?

I gots three helmets. 2 HD 1 ACC

Both of the HD helmets were overpriced as expected, the third was $70. It's your noggin though, so don't be cheap. Just make sure the extra $$ you're spending is going to protect your head and not for putting that HD sticker on it instead...

Old 01-31-2007, 11:31 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had Shoei, Arai, Nolan and a few others. I will spend up to $400.00 for a helmet. My present Nolan cost close to 1/2 that.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:47 AM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as the old saying goes "if you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet"

Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
bladesmith
Advanced

A price of a good helmet is negligable when compared to the price of the motorcycle..or worse, a hospital bill for a head injury......I have the HD FXRG carbon fibre full face helmet...... It fit me well, very comfortable and good periphery vision when compared to my Shoei.....

Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the market for a modular (a flip up full face), but have a hard time prying the checkbook open for a helmet that costs over 2 hundred bucks. There's a lot of nice, comfortable full-face helmets out there for under two bills. My current full-face got one of the highest safety and quality ratings in a helmet test done by Motorcyclist magazine and cost 126 dollars including tax.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a heck of a lot cheaper than a new head. Don't look at the price, look at the safety and fit. Hmmm.. maybe if I would have bought the ex a $50 helmet years ago, I might have saved $100,000 in the divorce! [sm=confused06.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a lot of researchto find out what were considered the better helmets.Found out that if they have the DOT approval you get the same protection, regardless of price. The most important thing was how the helmet fit your head. On the full face helmets another important factor is how well it is vented. I opted for a cheap helmet and it fits my head and vents fine, so I am happy with it. The site I bought from was:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TS-15...3375QQtcZphoto

Tom

Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I spend around $400-$500. Arai or Shoei ff only. I figure it's my head, I like it. I want it to be safe and comfortable and happy

Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

If the helmet is DOT certified, the protection is going to be the same regardless of whether it's a $50 helmet or a $250 helmet. What you get with the more expensive helmet is lighter, better airflow in the helmet, and overall higher comfort level.

Now most likely when you get that high in price, well north of $300 typically, the helmet will be Snell certified as well. Snell is (supposedly) a higher safety standard, so it will protect your noggin a tad better. I'm not sure is Snell is a federal standard.

The Harley helmets are pretty good, they aren't any better or worse than some of the other brands, just a little more (like everything else you can buy with the HD logo on it). I believe they are made by Nolan, are they not?

Quick Reply: What is your price range for a helmet?