General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to divert from stock...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
ghawthorn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to divert from stock...

Hey guys, first time owner of a 2012 FB in vivid black ( so no pics are necessary). My question is - when flipping through the pages of Dennis Kirk and JP cycles etc, is there a "theme" you go for? I know the individuality comes along with the ride and the look you want, but I feel as though the things I want may not flow too well at the end of all part ordered and installed. Just a thought. I'm somewhat of a minimalist and love things to match and look good: as in saddlebags that go with the new seat I want and the fender bib etc. I guess I don't really want to spend cash and at the same time, not get over involved in the planning of the parts and pieces. What did you guys and gals do? Was it a piece-meal method and that eventually brought you to what your ride looks like today. Bottom line, it's winter here in AK, and I have a ton of time and even more ideas and magazines to flip through. I'm kinda analytical and over think **** too. Thx all and I hope I get some thoughts from all you riders. Thx. G

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Gotta pick a direction you want to go, and then you can make a plan based on that.

This will save you time & money by not purchasing & installing multiples of the same item because the first one did not match where you eventually went.

Google images can help you develop the direction you want to go. Depending on what direction, you may be able to modify/paint some of your existing parts, others you might be able to make, others buy.

My preference is to spend time knowing where you want to go, then it is easier to get there.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 AM
ghawthorn
Cruiser

Thx man, makes sense. Sometimes I get a little fuddled in the decision process Thx man!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel it's whatever trips your trigger. I kind of went with a Willie-G theme but not all my skull stuff is Willie-G. If you don't want to spend cash but want to customize, you bought the wrong bike, Harley's are not cheap to customize unless you own your own fabrication shop and are good at designing your own stuff. I kind of piece meal my upgrades due to my financial limitations. You will find that there are a lot of people that may not really like what you have done to your bike but won't say so and even if they did, it doesn't matter, it's what you want and like that matters in the end.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard question, I would think about comfort,ride style-conditions,2up-solo,motor life,miles,gear storage,etc. I know as you ride you will see what others have done and ask them about what brand,price and how involved the install was. You dont want to waste $ on things that will end up for sale because you changed your mind. Keep looking at the mags and you should find a direction you like. Alaska? Buy a trailer and head south.......

Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have a bunch of money to throw away it's best to figure out where you want the bike to be when you're done than to start adding this and that without a plan. Go through the magazines and look around here and other online sites and find out what you like. Get a picture of what you want it to look like when it's done and go for it.

Good luck and hope to see it when you're done. Don't forget the before pics.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

I go to bike nights, Daytona, dealerships, etc. & look at other people's bikes & get ideas about customizing from them. I also have a pretty good eye about what's gonna look good or not.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Ride and enjoy your bike and trust me, ideas for customizing it will just come to you.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

One little word of advice,, think about haveing to clean and polish what U get..

I ended up getting the HD Nostaliga Flool boards front and rear, plus the brake and shift levers. I like them but they are a pain in the A$$ to clean with all the little slots in them.

http://www.adventureharley.com/nosta...rd-insert-kits

Last edited by oct1949; 11-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
ghawthorn
Cruiser

Yea, great common sense advice guys. Sometimes things just come to you. Thank all

Quick Reply: Time to divert from stock...