General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy hauler. Anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Toy hauler. Anyone got one?

Thinking of getting a toy hauler to haul the bike to warmer climes for winter vacations. Also will double for camping trips in the summer, maybe take it to some rallies for a place to stay away from home, save money on hotels etc.

Wondering what other people have and what you consider pros and cons of features in your trailer. For example, do you have a separate garage in the back, a bedroom up front? Bump outs? Generator package?

We've looked at the entire spectrum, we're pretty set on a certain model but would like to hear what other have too. It's a learning process.

Oh, and btw, I know some people are against putting their bikes in a trailer. That's fine. I am just tired of sleeping in a pup tent on bike trips, or paying hotel rates for multi week trips. It's a compromise.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Mo.Rob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small 17 ft toyhauler. It saves no money for me, My truck gets 7-10 mpg pulling it, it usually cost $80-100 dollars to get into a rally with it. If your doing it to save money just get that outta your head and stick with the tired of sleeping on the ground story like I do. They are nice when it rains, nice when its hot, nice to be able to take your own food and beverages to a rally. If I were gonna get one for vacations like you I would get one with a garage so you can use it fully without taking your bike out to set up your bed. Everyone has opinions and I dont care what someone thinks of me hauling to sturgis or a rally. I have little time off and dont like to worry about travel delays and flats and traveling all nite in the dark on my bike. I trailer to where Im going and enjoy my rides when I get there.When its time to head home I pack, load and haul *** home, Rain,shine,wind,dark it doesnt make any difference and thats my favorite part.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Mo.Rob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a piece of advice. If you buy a generator save yourself alot of time and hassle and buy a Honda. I have a 3000 and its quiet, second to no others. It runs my air and microwave,coffee pots and you dont have to worry about fueling up during the night. You can literally set it under your canopy if its raining and it will not bother you or your neighbors

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yea I'm with ya on everything you said. And youre right about the cost. It would add up. One further point about driving, my wife and I can tag team. One drives one sleeps. 6 hours between fillups. You can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. Thanks for your comment.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Good point about the generator. I wasnt planning to gey a factory one. They run about 4 grand as an option. I will look into the honda 3000. Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy your tow rig first---------------then shop for the trailer.Over spec the tow rig as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Pete, I have a 3/4 ton avalanche, 8. 1 liter gas engine. 5 spd allison automatic tranny with factory towing package. It's not a deisel, but is a pretty gd good unit for towing.

We're looking at the 27 ft XLR the model is 27hfs. Google it! It's a pretty good one. Has a garage and bedroom.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Earlier in the year got a Keystone Raptor 300mp, 35.5', 5th wheel, 2 slides, 10' separate garage, installed 5.5kw generator. Pull it with a Dodge 3500 CC, 4wd, diesel dually. This package is part of my retirement plans. If you are looking to save money, you have to stay home and do nothing. Toy-haulers typically are heavier than a comparable TT or 5th wheel so make sure you have plenty of truck. Be leery of "half ton tow-able" claims by RV salesman.

Last month spent 3 nights in Asheville NC and 3 in Wytheville VA. Spent the days riding the SC, NC, VA, TN, and WV mountains, and came back "home" each night. I like the separate garage since it keeps the bikes out of the living space. Garage can quickly be converted by removing the chocks and have a flat floor. Room in the garage for a second bike is desired. When I retire next year, I'll get to take longer trips.

Plenty of different designs form a basic TT to 41' 5th wheel. In VA, saw a Class A diesel pusher motor-home, pulling a modified cargo hauler trailer. Trailer was maybe 20+'. Inside was a late 90's Camaro SS convertible. Above the car on a electric ramp/platform were 2 motorcycles. Not sure if there was a forward platform with more bikes/toys or not.

People will tell you that it is cheaper to ride and camp, or ride and motel, or ride and go home. But it's a method of traveling and I ran into a lot of people enjoying this style.

Attached Thumbnails Toy hauler. Anyone got one?-007.jpg   Toy hauler. Anyone got one?-001.jpg   Toy hauler. Anyone got one?-006.jpg   Toy hauler. Anyone got one?-009.jpg   Toy hauler. Anyone got one?-017.jpg  

Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Chunker, that is a nice rig. I prefer the motorhome with a cargo trailer.
Both gives you the option of two bikes. Wife's seem to want to buy stuff along the way and not think of the overall weight.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

We just got this last summer and love it. Easy to pull and easy to load the bikes in and out. We looked at a couple of 5'th wheel ones but had issues with the bikes bottoming out on the ramps. We have a 3000 Honda Generator that I bought probably 10 years ago. The thing runs like a champ. I just leave the generator in the back of my truck. We have camped for many years, but the kids are gone now and this will be the first camper we have had without bunk beds in it.

Quick Reply: Toy hauler. Anyone got one?