General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Warranty and HDD SE installed parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM
mikeinfxbg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Warranty and HDD SE installed parts

Recently took my '08 FLHTCUI in for work. Cam support plate failed to provide sufficent oil to the engine. When I bought the bike (new) I had the dealer install Reinharts, and a SE Super tuner. ESP representative denied the ESP warranty claim as the SE tuner is a modification to the powertrain and thus that portion of the ESP is voided and the tuner is a "race" item. Has anyone had similar difficulties with their ESP coverage, cam support plate failing and HD not covering the parts and labor?
If you had similar difficulties, were you successfull at HD honoring the warranty?
tks.
Mike

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Man that bites! I cant believe whoever sold you the ESP did so knowing full well that the Super tuner was installed and that it would void your coverage. On the other hand I was pretty well made informed that coverage was for stock OEM parts only and any mods for performance would void coverage.
Best of luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinfxbg
Recently took my '08 FLHTCUI in for work. Cam support plate failed to provide sufficent oil to the engine. When I bought the bike (new) I had the dealer install Reinharts, and a SE Super tuner. ESP representative denied the ESP warranty claim as the SE tuner is a modification to the powertrain and thus that portion of the ESP is voided and the tuner is a "race" item. Has anyone had similar difficulties with their ESP coverage, cam support plate failing and HD not covering the parts and labor?
If you had similar difficulties, were you successfull at HD honoring the warranty?
tks.
Mike
They cannot do that. They are required to "PROVE" that the mod directly caused the problem. They cannot say that installing a super tuner autoomatically voids the warranty on your entire power train.

Nothing, I repeat nothing voids your warranty short of the bike being flooded (under water) or totaled by an insurance company. (Sometimes gray marketing a bike (buying or shipping to another country for sale) may void the warranty.)
If you install new aftermarket cams (like Andrews for example) it no way effects the warranty on your transmission or radio. If you install a new radio and your motor grenades then the warranty is still in effect.
The warranty cannot be voided, but it can be denied. If you install a new, aftermarket oil pump and it fails causing engine damage and the "dealer can prove" the new non - HD oil pump caused the problem then and only then can they deny warranty on that part.

This is called the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act. This is a Federal Act and your dealer is required by law to follow it.

If the dealer can prove a mod you had done caused the issue then and only then, they can disallow warranty on that one part.

Here is the straight dope from Drago's Bike Works old web site. I hope Frank doesn't mind.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hd1550/id5.html

Read this from end to end before your start believing anyone about "voiding the warranty".

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
They cannot do that. They are required to "PROVE" that the mod directly caused the problem. They cannot say that installing a super tuner autoomatically voids the warranty on your entire power train.
thats all fine and good on the original factory warranty, but the esp is a whole nother ballgame and plays by different rules. it is not a warranty, but an insurance policy, and if you read the fine print, it will tell you that any modification to the drivetrain, ie. high flow air cleaner, pipes, etc. will result in coverage being denied.

since you've already been flagged, your best bet would be to cancel the esp and see how much money you can get back. unfortunately, they pro-rate it from day 1, not the day the factory warranty expires.

if the dealer sold you the esp, knowing full well that the mods that they did void it, i would ask them to either refund your whole purchase price of the esp based on 'bad faith' sale, or that they cover the repair (less $50) on their dime. if they say no, you can always try small claims court......

Last edited by skratch; 11-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

When you bought the bike,parts/install and ESP warranty were you warned by the dealer?