General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loading a Kendon trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loading a Kendon trailer

Got tired of the white knuckle loading of my bike onto my Kendon trailer. A friend of mine made up this winch unit and it makes loading a breeze. Still takes two people but the wife just cranks on the winch and I guide the bike up. Once they are loaded the winch assembly comes out just like a trailer hitch receiver

Attached Thumbnails loading a Kendon trailer-wijnch.jpg   loading a Kendon trailer-winch.jpg   loading a Kendon trailer-winch1.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

A bike trailer that I can't load myself would be of little value. You could install an electric winch with remote for loading yourself.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
ampeg
5th Gear
Default kendon

You might consider a Stinger foldable trailer its only 5 inches off the road and rides behind you beautifully. http://mysite.verizon.net/vzew8xdv/

Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Sorry, but I can't imagine how that wench strap is going to be anything but bad news for the fender and paint.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an older Kendon twin rail trailer and added the wheel chox. I wish I could tell you how it is but I haven't used the trailer since.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but I can't imagine how that wench strap is going to be anything but bad news for the fender and paint.

I just layed it up there for the pics. When it is hooked up it is nowhere near any painted surface. Then the winch assembly goes in the back of the truck when not in use.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72
A bike trailer that I can't load myself would be of little value. You could install an electric winch with remote for loading yourself.
No need for an electric winch I only use the trailer to get to Fla and back. Trailer was priced right and the whole winch thing was under $75. Trying to load/push the ultra up on the trailer was not doable with my wife helping. Driving it up is out of the question. I was walking it up using the engine/clutch but that was nerve racking and still needed two people. One to hold the bike and one to hook up some straps. Not claiming it's the perfect solution but it is safe and great for what need. Just thought some other Kendon owners would like to see some options

Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,836 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I did something similar to my single rail Kendon. Put a manual winch on a square tube post above the height of the bike fender, the wife cranks the bike up and I walk it up the ramp into the channel and the chock. Very easy and quick process. Less than $80 with a shop doing the work.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM
scasey
Road Master

I always thought those Kendon's were suppose to be an easy trailer to load a bike on?

There in now way in HE double hockey sticks that I would put my bike on that stinger trailer that I linked above

Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can slow ride your bike in the friction zone loading it easy.

I think what the OP is referring to is not being able to put his feet down as he rides up the ramp. Honestly what I do is back the trailer up to the driveway until it is as level with the sidewalk as possible.

\ Wheel chock
============== Trailer deck
Wheel> (O) --------------- Sidewalk

Kinda like that above. Yeah I know it isn't much of a diagram but it's the best I can do on here.

Quick Reply: loading a Kendon trailer