General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haha, so much for getting a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:35 PM
logdon17
|
Tourer
Default Haha, so much for getting a touring bike

So I've been kicking the idea around about getting a Street Glide (like the idea of the more comfortable bike with storage and longer range). Riding in the car with my wife today, we see a CVO Street Glide cross the intersection. I ask her what she thought of it and the response is "eh, looks like an old mans bike". Being only 30, looks like I'll keeping riding my softail!

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Bullshit. Age has nothing to do with it, it's about the comfort and goodies. Throw her on a tourer and you'll change your mind

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:42 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by logdon17
So I've been kicking the idea around about getting a Street Glide (like the idea of the more comfortable bike with storage and longer range). Riding in the car with my wife today, we see a CVO Street Glide cross the intersection. I ask her what she thought of it and the response is "eh, looks like an old mans bike". Being only 30, looks like I'll keeping riding my softail!
You didn't argue the pluses of it?

Man, you caved way too fast!

Old 11-04-2012 | 07:52 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Think about a Road King. Without the fairing, it doesn't look like "an old man's bike." (Says an old man....)

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:00 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Wife says that about my StreetGlide all the time. Funny thing is, she doesn't complain when she climbs on back atop that comfy Sundowner seat, right after she throws her crap in my saddlebags. And she sure as hell doesn say **** when she asks me to crank up the tunes on the radio all while kicked back on that backrest. I stopped caring about what she thinks a long time ago. RoadKing is a nice option too, would have been my second choice.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:10 PM
Nem
6th Gear

Don't understand why that would stop "you" from getting what "you" want.

???

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:10 PM
Pastor Ed
Tourer

"eh, looks like an old mans bike"
What can I say: I resemble that

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:11 PM
logdon17
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sling Blade NSAA
You didn't argue the pluses of it?

Man, you caved way too fast!

I didnt cave that fast, I pressed her a little more and tried to explain how it was a cool bike, etc. The clincher was when she said that she thought the "baskets" on the back looked strange. She rarely rides so she doesnt care about the comfort so based on looks alone shes not digging it. Although looking at the above bike im still thinking about it though.....

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:16 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

baggers are super popular
most new riders have a hard time beliving that 12 years ago when i worked at the hd parts counter we would dog your *** if you where a young guy on a tour bike
but then again back then they all looked the same (big and ugly) now they have alot more style

I am 35 and even with the bagger craze still have a hard time watching young dudes (25 yrs old or so )ride baggers. I know this is being a d%^k but I cant help but think to myself "are you serious, dude pay your fu$%ing dues on a real bike for a while and save the bagger for later". I mean you would never see a young man lust over a lincon town car!!

Oh yea, and i plan on gettting a street glide soon because they are so bad ***

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:20 PM
MiniWolf

I guess it depends on what you mean by old man. Real older guys I see riding the trikes. But most people I see on any Harley, except Sportsters, are middle-aged 40 something guys, like myself. I don't see too many 20-something guys riding touring bikes, but this probably has more to do with it not fitting into their budget.

I was reading an article recently. The avg age of a Harley owner is 47 and 80% are over 35 and 20% are over 55. There is no breakdown by model so its hard to say if older really go for the touring bikes. The average age of a Honda owner is only 26. But again I think this all has to do more with Harley's in general not fitting into a younger riders budget. Also, I think the popularity of the touring bikes isn't so much touring but the image. They are big and imposing.

Quick Reply: Haha, so much for getting a touring bike