General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haha, so much for getting a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 09:23 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by logdon17
So I've been kicking the idea around about getting a Street Glide (like the idea of the more comfortable bike with storage and longer range). Riding in the car with my wife today, we see a CVO Street Glide cross the intersection. I ask her what she thought of it and the response is "eh, looks like an old mans bike". Being only 30, looks like I'll keeping riding my softail!
That's because you looked at a CVO (only old men have the scratch to buy them!). Show her a custom bagger and maybe it will be a different story.

Throw a razor pack on that bad boy and you're all set.

But, I'm with you on the approval thing. It's nice to have the wife in your corner on this stuff. Then again, I'm the guy who posted on OT that my GF made me watch Project Runway......so maybe I'm not the best source of affirmation. P.O.P. my friend. P.O.P. .)

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:00 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

so the OP's wife has no taste, and he has no *****

got it, now I see the point of this thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:14 AM
agueybana
Road Master

My wife used to said the same thing about my Roadking till she took a ride on it!! ..lol

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:24 AM
Sauceman
Road Master

I think it mostly depends where you are in life. I rode sport bikes for the last 27 years, but I always said that one day I would be riding a bagger. That day came this year and I do not regret it. My GF loves going for rides and she likes it even more now.

And I also love my Lincoln Towncar

cheers

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:27 AM
glock221
Road Warrior

My first HD was my Fatboy Lo. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a Streetglide or Road glide. I am 40. I always see younger guys on Baggers. The Geezer Glide mentality don't apply anymore. Tell me this bike looks like an old mans bike.

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:42 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Think about a Road King. Without the fairing, it doesn't look like "an old man's bike." (Says an old man....)
Yep. looks like a bigger softail. lolol..says another old man..

Old 11-05-2012 | 10:49 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

I happen to agree with her, not so much an old mans bike but it's just not a looker. But I just don't like bags hanging off my bike, changes what I consider a motor cycle to look like.

Old 11-05-2012 | 11:13 AM
knepp1bj
Road Captain

dude i got my Street glide at age 20 and upgraded to an ultra at 24...i will be 25 soon and love this bike! old lady loves comfort, i love the tunes and all that...it doesnt matter, you can customize to make it not look like an "old man bike"

my next bike will be road glide ultra

Old 11-05-2012 | 11:13 AM
dub976
Tourer

Haha. My wife, then girlfriend, said the same thing when I was looking at bikes. I wanted a bagger for my comfort. (I rode sportbikes until someone decdied to run a red light and break my hip and slip a couple of disk into my sciatic nerve. Thank god I had a ff helmet, take that curb). After test riding some. It felt like I was on it and not in it like my old rocket. I brought the woman with to the dealership to look and she ended up talking me into my fatboy for me.

Funny thing is on our honeymoon we rented a full bagger and she loved every min of it. Says to me " I should've let you get this bike like you wanted to originally. I just wasn't ready to be on a old mans bike yet." We were both in our late 20's at the time. Couple years later she can't wait to get one.

Old 11-05-2012 | 11:36 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I don't talk much about these things with the wife, but when I compliment anything with hard bags or a fairing she says the same thing- looks like an old man's bike. She won't care if it's slammed, raked, 26" wheel, blacked out, stretched bags and fender... or all of the above. Doesn't matter- it's the hard bags and fairing that just turn her off. I hear her friends say the same thing all the time amongst each other. Ironic, considering my FLHRC is retro-ish. Just women I guess.

Quick Reply: Haha, so much for getting a touring bike