General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haha, so much for getting a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:27 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

I'm 31 and just knew that I wanted comfort, storage space, and tunes. My wife always rides with me so that sealed the deal. I have no desire to go back to anything else. Although, my next bike will have a detachable trunk so I can make it look more like a Street Glide when I want to.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:27 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Throw her on a tourer and you'll change your mind
Throw her on the tourer and you'll change her mind.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:34 PM
logdon17
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hell hound
baggers are super popular
most new riders have a hard time beliving that 12 years ago when i worked at the hd parts counter we would dog your *** if you where a young guy on a tour bike
but then again back then they all looked the same (big and ugly) now they have alot more style

I am 35 and even with the bagger craze still have a hard time watching young dudes (25 yrs old or so )ride baggers. I know this is being a d%^k but I cant help but think to myself "are you serious, dude pay your fu$%ing dues on a real bike for a while and save the bagger for later". I mean you would never see a young man lust over a lincon town car!!

Oh yea, and i plan on gettting a street glide soon because they are so bad ***
This isnt about people "paying dues" or ******* anyone for riding a bagger. Simply posting that my 27 year old wife thinks baggers look like old man bikes and now I am rethinking buying one and keeping my softail

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:39 PM
16over
Road Master

43 here and hated my SG. Sold it a few months ago and bought another Shovel. Do miss the fuel injection so buying a used Deluxe.

Oh but the wife did like the SG once I added air-ride.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:47 PM
fj1200
Tourer

A friend's wife comment the first time she saw my Ultra Limited was "old man's bike". Her comment a year later after the first ride on her husband's Road Glide Ultra was "comfy". Trying renting a touring bike and going for a day ride with your wife and see if the comfortable ride changes her mind.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:47 PM
djohn
Tourer

Originally Posted by logdon17
So I've been kicking the idea around about getting a Street Glide (like the idea of the more comfortable bike with storage and longer range). Riding in the car with my wife today, we see a CVO Street Glide cross the intersection. I ask her what she thought of it and the response is "eh, looks like an old mans bike". Being only 30, looks like I'll keeping riding my softail!
I will have to agree with your wife...they are old man bikes. I've tried to like them, I've rode a few Harley's with fairings and even owned a Road King for a few years but I just can't seem to like them. I always felt like I was sitting way up on top of the RKC, and the "dashboard" on all those geezer glides are a very annoying distraction. I like sitting "in" my softails...if I want that much protection when I ride, I'll buy a convertible car.

And BTW, I'm 57 and just last year broke down and bought a windshield.

Old 11-04-2012 | 08:55 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

...... you mean folks actually buy motorcycles that don't have anywhere to put the stuff you need to get past the next bar ?
......... what IS this world coming too ?

Old 11-04-2012 | 09:00 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I love my bagger. I'm 43.

Old 11-04-2012 | 09:01 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Wait a minute you guys. I am 72 years old and ride a 99 Softail Custom. So that is my old mans bike. I rode a 150 miles last wednesday to meet up with a bunch of other old retired motorcyclists for lunch. Some of those guys have baggers, so I guess they could be an old mans bike. I just happen to like the Softail Custom way better than the Glides. What can I say, I like pegs instead of boards, and sitting in the bike instead of on it. Oh! and a carb and drag pipes. And not one of those sissy balanced or rubber mounted engines. Toungue firmly planted in cheek. LOL

Old 11-04-2012 | 09:05 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member

wife loves mine. But then again i am old

Quick Reply: Haha, so much for getting a touring bike