General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haha, so much for getting a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012 | 07:55 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Gotta say, I recently rented an EG for an 8 day trip. It was a great bike, while on the road. I really didn't like it around town. I guess I'm just too used to the handling of my Deuce. But I do admit that I've been very intrigued by the SG the last 2-3 years. Maybe when 'we' retire. Got a few more years for that, as I'm only 68 (next month) but she's 9 years younger.

Yes, I care what she says and thinks. I take her opinions into consideration in most everything we do. Doesn't mean that I always do what she suggests though.

Old 11-06-2012 | 08:03 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

Bottom line... If it's not for you and your lil woman, don't go there. It takes a little getting used to. I went from drag bars and a rough ride with a skinny back seat for the lil woman which was very uncomfortable for her, but not for me. After a poker run, she wanted a more comfortable ride and I was intrigued on the ride of a bagger. After a couple of wacko's on craigslist, I found the perfect bike for the both of us! I'm getting very comfortable with my new to me, Ultra and loving the stereo and all the added goodies that goes with this rolling couch! Yeah, it's not the cool scooter, if that's your definition of a tourer, but it's definitely a fine ride! I'm glad I bought it and so is the Mrs.

Best of luck on whatever you decide. Why not keep the soft tail and buy a used bagger?

Last edited by JohnSWA; 11-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2012 | 03:18 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer

Well went baby bagger I guess you would say. I am a small guy 5'8 180 and rode a streetbob for two years loved the bike, but on long runs would wear the back out after a few hundred miles. I went with the switchback and added fairing, tunes. I have to say I love the fairing and floorboards and not sure I would ride again without. By the way I am 36.

Old 11-07-2012 | 03:31 AM
JodyAmen
Intermediate

The wife bitches about riding my ridgid bobber.She likes riding on my softail springer but complains when she can't carry all her stuff on a long trip. When I told her I was buying an Ultra Cassic she laughed and said she wouldn't be seen on it, its an old mans bike. Well I bought the Ultra. We took a 600 mile trip and guess what? No complaints and all the crap including the hair dryer and beer fit! I kept the other 2 for local riding and the Ultra for distance. Do what you want. Your the one riding it. She will come around.

Old 11-07-2012 | 10:16 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by logdon17
So I've been kicking the idea around about getting a Street Glide (like the idea of the more comfortable bike with storage and longer range). Riding in the car with my wife today, we see a CVO Street Glide cross the intersection. I ask her what she thought of it and the response is "eh, looks like an old mans bike". Being only 30, looks like I'll keeping riding my softail!
Tell her that her shoe collection looks like something her old aunt Hilda would wear and see how she likes that. LoL.

Old 11-07-2012 | 12:17 PM
benman
Road Captain

I watched a friend buy a heritage because his ol lady thought it looked cool and thought my ultra classic looked like a cop bike. Well after a year or so of trying to keep up with me and my friends who all ride touring bikes when traveling very far she made him trade up to a ultra limited. To bad he listened to her and it ended up costing him several thousand dollars for her uninformed bad decision. All I can say is you should pick your own bike defined buy your own research and taste and to hell with anybody elses opinions.

Old 11-07-2012 | 05:34 PM
cowboy-bc
Cruiser

The Ol lady loves my Street Glide in fact she rode it all ****ing summer while one of the nicest Road Kings around sat in the garage

Old 11-07-2012 | 05:40 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

LOL! I just turned 63 and retired so I guess I have the correct model!

Attached Thumbnails Haha, so much for getting a touring bike-img_0026.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012 | 07:18 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

buy the bagger, and leave the GF at home.. i have been riding an 01eg since i was 29,wanted it since i was 23. wouldn't trade it for anything, but a nicer one.

Old 11-07-2012 | 07:24 PM
Nitrochicken
Road Master

^^^^ ya that. Dont be doggin the touring bikes till you ride one.

Quick Reply: Haha, so much for getting a touring bike