Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went back to the full face tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Went back to the full face tonight...

For the first time in quite a while. It wasn't any colder than usual, it was the fact that I started reading a book on motorcycling that was all about safety that Scootergrrl ordered. I have forgotten how light my Arai helmet is, and how I don't need any sort of eye protection besides the shield. Quite nice. I could hit 100 mph and not need glasses and not have my eyes water. The only problem is I need to get a helmet lock. We went to dinner and there was no way my $500 helmet was staying outside on the bike without a lock. I really don't find it any harder to see the road with a full face. My peripheral vision is not as good, but I don't think that peripheral vision is what is going to save me in case of idiots on the road. I left the ipod at home, but immediately remembered that I have speakers in the helmet for it, and thought how freakin cool. Way better than those in ear ones with a half helmet cause you can't hear crap with those at speed anyway. Noise cancelling or not, this is my opinion. All in all a great evening riding with my wife.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
LittleBsMomma
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went back to the full face tonight...

I am looking into switching to a full face helmet myself, but I can't quite shake taht claustraphobic feeling whenever I try one on.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey, buddy - safety is more important than style sometimes.

Good choice.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rode tonight in below 40 degrees; not by choice but I had loaned the truck to my son who thoughtfully forgot I was going out this evening so he was nowhere to be found. Wanted the full face, but it was in the truck, so went with the 3/4. Mercifully, the ride was only about 10 miles each way and I have a great jacket and gloves, so no problems with the cold. Wish I had the face shield but lost it in Miami when a saddlebag opened at 75-80 mph. Time to buy the replacement I guess.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad to hear it Anubiss,I rode with a fullface last year but I've really been tempted to get a half helmet even though I know it's a dumb move.....

Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,484 Likes on 3,829 Posts

ORIGINAL: LittleBsMomma

I am looking into switching to a full face helmet myself, but I can't quite shake taht claustraphobic feeling whenever I try one on.
I am pretty claustrophobic myself ( sometimes VERY claustrophobic). I started to wear full-face helmets when I started racing, and the anticipation distracted me enough to where I didn't feel closed in. Soon, I started to associate puting on my helmet with pleasure.

Another way I look at it- I feel more closed in in my car without a helmet than I do on my bike with a full-face helmet on. As long as I can move my arms without touching anything, I'm not closed in.....

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find I ride 10 - 20 mph faster with a full face helmet.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's all just about getting used to it...

I have a lot of issues wearing half helmets because I have worn a full for so long. After wearing my beanie my eyes will water for about an hour, my ears hurt, and depending on the weather wind burn can be a factor.

Not to say that I won't wear the half again... I just happen to prefer the full.

And I have the same problem with locking Anubisss... I think when I am in Daytona I am going to use the cable lock I use on my shotgun.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wear my FF helmet most of the time (80-90% I'd guess). Aroundtown here in the little rural mountain town I live in I wear my half helmet, but for any serious ride or for my commute down into the Big City I wear the FF. It's ALOT safer is the primary reason and it's quieter (I do wear earplugs all the time too even with the FF helmet). I don't find it uncomfortable at all in fact.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I switch tothe full face when it starts to get cold, but I prefer the feel of the half helmet.

Quick Reply: Went back to the full face tonight...