General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went back to the full face tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
hughtwg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Went back to the full face tonight...

ORIGINAL: LittleBsMomma

I am looking into switching to a full face helmet myself, but I can't quite shake taht claustraphobic feeling whenever I try one on.
Try riding with the visor open. If I'm wearing my full face I pretty much leave the visor open all the way as long as I'm doing less than 80mph.

-Hugh

Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Helix
Tourer

When It gets below 45 Degrees I switch to a FF.Abovethat I go 1/2 for the freedom it gives me. I see the cool dudes with a doo rap on when its like 38 degrees and i wonder how cold thier face must be...but hey they look sooooo tough.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: went_postal
<snip>
And I have the same problem with locking Anubisss... I think when I am in Daytona I am going to use the cable lock I use on my shotgun.
Look into the retractable cable locks on this page:
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...cleFind@Public

They won't stop a determined thief but then what will? (other than a .44). They take very little space and will fit in a pocket when retracted and you can run them through the arm of your jacket to lock both the jacket and helmet to the bike.

-Hugh

Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I put speakers in it quite simply for whoever asked. The Arai's ahve removeable cheek pads. I go some sony over the ear earphones, took out the cheek pads, put the speakers in the cheek pads and routed the wires around the inside of the helemt so they weren't in the way, and routed the plug inside the cheek pad to come out of the helmet. So the lug cable jsut hangs out of the eft side of the helmet for me. Quite simple, but having removable cheek pads makes all the difference. I used to wear a shoei, unitl I tried a friends Arai. It was a night and day difference. I got my Arai for a great deal at http://www.derbycycles.com They usually have closeouts available at great prices. I think I paid $299 for mine which is a $700 helmet. Sure, I'll take last years model, it is still a fabulous helmet. And, I ahve been in 3 accidents wearin g Arai's and not a problem in any of them...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I started out with a shoei RF-1000 full face,hated it,wind noise in the helmet was loud,helmet buffeting,hot. My vision was so bad from the buffeting,i was seeing everything in double,even my sun glasses would keep sliping down my nose.

Bought a DOT half helmet to try out after spending alot of coin on all the wind deflectors for the bike,much cooler on hot days,98% of the helmet buffeting is gone.yes i know the full face is safer than the 1/2 helmet,but it's a risk I except for my comfort.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Took a Big june bug on my right cheek back in the seventies on I-95 between Lauderdale and Miami....doin about 90...I had a shiner for two weeks, but I STILL wont wear a full face.Dunno...just a Harley thing I guess.
Dick

Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Y'know.....it's funny...you can see those things comin and usually get out of the way,but sometimes.......got a bumblebee in my ear once....damned near crashed pullin over, and STILL got stung. That one was nasty.
Dick

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

anubisss, Just curious, what was the book ScooterGrrrl was reading?
Sounds like it made an impression.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It is called Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. I read the whole thing as well. Just brought me back to reality. Do I value my head or not?