General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warning about buying parts through Amazon.com and Powersport Superstore.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts
Default A warning about buying parts through Amazon.com and Powersport Superstore.

This concerns Powersport Superstore and buying through Amazon.com. I recently ordered a replacement hydraulic primary chain tensioner shoe from Powersport Superstore in Texas through Amazon checkout. The part came loose in a box with a stick on number on the box. It was the 1/8" oversize shoe instead of the regular replacement. The box had the correct part # but the wrong part inside. No manufacturers name on the box or anything, just a printed number on a stick-on label. They are made by Southern Oregon Hot Bikes and distributed through Tucker Rocky. I contacted them to return it since it was the last one they had in stock. They insisted they had sent me the right part and would not admit the wrong part was in the right box even after several emails explaining what it was. I honestly don't think they even knew what the part was. I returned it and only received $20.50 out of my purchase price of $28.95. Their explanation was it was not in it's original condition or packaging. I returned it in bubble wrap, certainly better that the loose unwrapped part rattling around in a box. The little paper stick on label pulled off from removing the poorly wrapped tape. That was their justification for a "restocking" fee. Of course they don't refund shipping even if it's their fault they sent the wrong part. The return shipping was $3.25 at my expense by the way. Incredibly poor business model and the thing about going through amazon, if the vendor wants to do something like this, you have no recourse to go through Amazon to get the rest of your money back. My advice to anyone contemplating ordering any parts or anything else through Amazon.com is not to do it. Same thing for Powersport Superstore. In all my years of ordering i have never dealt with anyone like this so don't say you weren't warned if you try to buy something from these clowns.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Thanks for the heads up..

Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Wykd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate you had a mess, but having ordered hunderds/thousands of parts online I will tell you now that Amazon is one of the better/safer methods of purchase. Anytime I have had an issue I have called them and they made it right. This includes eating shipping cost on returns, free shipping or credits on items sellers have not shipped in timely manner and such. They have always bent over backwards to help me when i had a problem with a seller/item.

That all being said not every seller is created equal though... as with any store, be it down the road or across the internet you have good/bad sadly. I would say this sounds more like a issue with the seller, not amazon. When buying off amazon I try to make sure I am getting what ever item I am after via amazon as he seller/shipper. Sometimes its slightly more but that is because i know they will make it right if possible.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Not good for you, but I disagree with the "don't order from Amazon" recommendation. I've ordered, returned & swapped items through Amazon w/o one problem. Not always a "true" indicator, but I research the vendor(s), through other means (ratings, BBB, etc.), before purchasing. Amazon is a great discount shopping avenue...just got to do a little additional fact-finding.

Also, next time, pics are worth their weight in gold. I'd snap a few of the packing + contents & send to vendor so they see the crap job. Might not get your re-stock/ship fees credited, but you can use to report them to Amazon as well.

Finally, give this @$$-h@t vendor a bad review on Amazon...and report to BBB. If you go the BBB route - they have to respond to each/every post.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:55 AM
djnaldo
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Amazon's ok but I definitely won't order from Powersport Superstore again. I ordered a points cover from them and received a derby cover instead. The derby cover had a sticker with the point cover part # on it partially obscuring the original label. It took almost 2 weeks for them to email me a return label. Terrible customer service.

Attached Thumbnails A warning about buying parts through Amazon.com and Powersport Superstore.-0021.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you had trouble, but I've ordered parts for my Dyna through Amazon/Powersports (one-click ordering is too easy) 6 times over the past year and each time (a) got parts quickly, (b) paid really low price, (c) parts were in perfect condition. I order lots of stuff from Amazon.com, particularly books, and never had any trouble whatsoever.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't know about Powersports but I do know about Amazon. I ordered a Zumo through them and it was defective. I reported it and, no questions asked, they agreed to ship a new one immediately. They had a new Zumo at my door two days later. I hadn't even shipped out the old one yet! Amazon is an A+ organization based on my experience. Oh yeah, they arranged the UPS pickup and it was returned no charge to me.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have issues, you should contact Amazon directly. They will take care of shipping labels, refunds etc...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
If you have issues, you should contact Amazon directly. They will take care of shipping labels, refunds etc...

This. Amazon's customer service and return policies are simply the best in existence. I've had them overnight me items a couple times when there were minor issues, even if I hadn't paid for overnight shipping with the original purchase. I've literally spent tens of thousands of dollars with Amazon in the last 5-6 years, and never once had an issue go unresolved to my satisfaction. They are awesome.

I'm sorry for your problem/issue, but I would've immediately call Amazon customer service. I can almost guarantee they would've made it right.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I have ordered through amazon before and all was ok. I was just this lousy vendor with horrible customer service. They will not refund shipping even if they are at fault and send the wrong part. I did file a complaint with amazon and it was dismissed when the seller issued a partial refund. No other recourse. 99.9% of the time everything goes well i'm sure. I will continue to order through amazon.com, i'll just make sure it's not motorcycle parts.

Quick Reply: A warning about buying parts through Amazon.com and Powersport Superstore.