General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "almost hit me" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Another "almost hit me" thread

We've had numerous threads about getting rear-ended (or nearly so) at stoplights. I almost got front-ended(!) Yesterday I was sitting in the lead spot in the left-turn lane at a stoplight. Noticed a cage entering the intersection from the right, signaling for a left turn in front of me. Driver-side window was down and I could see the driver was a woman, and that she had a friggin' cellphone in her left hand. I also quickly came to the conclusion that "that bitch is going to hit me!". She obviously didn't see me sitting in the turn lane and was turning across the end of the turn lane -- I think her left headlight was aimed directly at my headlight. Thankfully she was not going too fast -- 'cause she was talking, I guess -- so I had time to give her a blast with my Mini-Beast. Driver finally saw me, eyes looked like saucers, and she swerved right just enough to miss my front wheel by no more than 6". She never stopped, just got past me and took off.

I thought about chasing her down and telling her off, but decided that would probably be a mistake.

So, when you're stopped at a light, don't just watch yer rear -- keep an eye out front, too!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Way to pay attention! Thank God for loud horns, too.

The sad part is that this little "incident" (where she could have killed someone) will probably have ZERO affect on her.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default It's that minibeast that woke her up.

Good to hear a safe ending to a story like that.

I just added a 2 note mini air horn and have saved my life many times over. The factory horn is a joke.

I try to stay out of the intersection at all times, even if I have a green light but can't turn yet. I also watch out for people driving straight through the turn lane and head on at me. Had a close call with that situation last week, they even had their turn signal on.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
creed0423
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here people will cut through that turn lane(turning to sharp). I will sit back alil bit till their light turns red. And while I'm on the bike I'll even stop on the right portion of the lane.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
jaysledge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How dare you have your bike where she was driving. That is the attitude she probably had.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, your neck has to be on a swivel!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM
deuceriderusa
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another almost hit me thread

Cell phone a-holes can nail you from ANY direction. Next they'll be falling from the sky.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I prefer to yell as loud as I can than honk a horn. A loud "aye!" usually gets people attention pretty quick.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I prefer to yell as loud as I can than honk a horn. A loud "aye!" usually gets people attention pretty quick.
You'd have to be too close for a cager to hear someone yelling.

If they had the radio on or listening closely to their cell they wouldn't really pay any attention to yelling unless you have a roaring voice in those situations. Then only an abrupt single derogatory "shout out" might bring about the right re-action.

AS many bikers that "think" loud pipes save lives, I can tell you a 125 DB screaming air horn will save you. And it costs a less. It's a very small thing you CAN do to aid in saving your own life!

People are more attuned to re-act when a horn goes off, especially when the sound is so loud you think it is a semi-truck! Most will typically take evasive action ... got watch out for all of them, all the time!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
... I can tell you a 125 DB screaming air horn will save you.
That little cowbell hanging on the side of your TourGlide is a 125dB screaming air horn ? OK.

You can talk about horns and pipes all you want. The key factor in this situation was that the driver's window was down, according to the report.

Winter's coming, folks. Windows are going to be rolled up with frost and rain on them for a few months.

Quick Reply: Another "almost hit me" thread