General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what area of the country has the cheapest used prices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012 | 11:48 PM
tehan2
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default what area of the country has the cheapest used prices?

I see comments all the time in the classifieds here (and on other forums) that a bike is overpriced, "and in my area, that's a $xxxx bike" (enter whatever low-ball price you'd like)

So I'm (un)fortunate enough that I can travel a bit for my job, and have some time that I could bike shop while in other cities. AND I'm looking for my next project

So what area has the lowest resale market? I would think that it's colder climates where the season is short....but I've lived in the northeast, MI, and midwest and now mountains, and don't see the low prices that others claim.

I'm open on what I buy as a project, with CHEAP being the #1 focus. I'm always looking for pans/shovels...but I don't see the $2500-$3000 shovels that people here claim are out there. Evo's are easy to work on too, and if priced right I'd pick up...and the $4500 TC's seem to pass and I never see them.

Ideally my project will have clean title, I've become sour to dealing with the state getting assigned VIN's...dealing with it now on a bike I've already sold, but waiting on the state now for over 2 months

thanks

Old 10-30-2012 | 03:03 AM
95custmz
Road Master

You're backwards. It's the warmer states like Florida with cheaper bike prices because there is all year riding weather and the market is flooded with new and used bikes.

Old 10-30-2012 | 03:18 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

I always use CL (or All of Craigs List) and eBay. I'm sure that I'm probably not finding the lowest price, but I have never been disappointed with the bikes that I have purchased.

Old 10-30-2012 | 06:20 AM
randayn
Banned

I would also say Florida. Supply of used exceeds Demand. So many are buying new that the used market if flooded. The dealers are loaded with used inventory and CL has hundreds if not thousands.

It is a buyers market. That is why so many folks from up north come down and load trailers full. I know a few guys that pay for their winter in Florida this way.

Bring cash and a trailer. My opinion. I buy three or four projects every year, have fun and make a little money. I end up with a free bike every year or two.

Old 10-30-2012 | 08:46 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 95custmz
You're backwards. It's the warmer states like Florida with cheaper bike prices because there is all year riding weather and the market is flooded with new and used bikes.
You must be right. When I see prices here on this forum, local prices are always some 20% higher

Old 10-30-2012 | 08:57 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Anywhere in the sticks or poorer states , major urban environments are always higher as general rule of thumb .

OP cruise the local craigs list for the area's you will traveling they will give an idea what prices are like the country over .

Old 10-30-2012 | 08:59 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

You can also get good prices mid-winter in cold weather states where there are virtually no buyers and you will always have some people forced into selling which means low prices. SJ Ron

Old 10-30-2012 | 11:51 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing about the low priced vehicles is that few similar vehicles in the area will be at that low price and often they aren't well advertised.
They don't last long, be ready to buy when you find it.