General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:34 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse

So... I got the fatboy bags from foxcreek. I guess when they showed up I was expeciting something.... bigger. But... they aren't. And I cannot even fit my laptop in one of them. So this is either a good excuse to get a set of bigger bags or to get a smaller laptop. =)

So then I was looking at the "larger" bags from fox creek... if you calculate the cubic inches... the fatboy bags have more storage in theory. not by much... but a little.

And then I went and looked at Harley's overpriced stuff... most of their stuff is 808 cubic inches. And the fatboy bags are somewhere in the neighborhood of 1100 ci.

Then there is boss bags... I supposed if I sold my daughter on the black market I could get some of those... =)

And then leatherworks...

Seems to me that to get "big bags" will totally take away from the look of the bike and you just wind up with "bulky" bags.

Am I imagining things? Or is this why people are always saying the softail is not a "touring" bike.

Anyone else just expect more out of the bags before they got em? I have never owned saddle bags before so I guess it was just a noob maneuver on my part.

They bags seem REALLY nice. Well made... really nice construction. I was surprised that the closure is an actual belt buckle style and not the faux one like a lot of the ones I have seen. But seems pretty nice to me. And I have no doubt I can slam at least a few pairs of jeans and some T's in them for the daytona trip. Originally we were going to make a week of it... There is NO WAY I could pack a week's worth of clothes in that thing. And I am kinda **** about wearing clean clothes.

Anyway... really wondering if I was expecting too much or if this is just the way of the saddlebag world?

Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse

As my friend the teacher says to his kids at school...You get what you get. I understand your disappointment, but use it to your advantage and get another laptop, or better yet a removable sissybar and a t bag to go with it so you can take your whole dresser with you. I have the removable sissybar with a bag that mounts to that, and am thinking about getting saddlebags as well. I am just not sure when I will have money to take a trip if I keep spending it all on things for the bike. LOL Lets see some pics of the saddlebags...

Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Just got a set from leatherup.com. They are throw over bags, but big eough for your laptop. They are not the quality of the HD bags.....but I only want to use them for trips and they'r good stout leather.....and they look pretty nice. If you go to their site......you'll want to look at the bags all the way to the bottom. they are the largest.....and they are all under $100
Dick

Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

Larger bags will change the look all depends on what works for you. Here is one Fatboy with larger bags and dual exhaust.

FBL

[IMG]local://upfiles/10879/425948870C9948A4A0267B1FBBC4624D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2007, 04:50 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

As my friend the teacher says to his kids at school...You get what you get. I understand your disappointment, but use it to your advantage and get another laptop, or better yet a removable sissybar and a t bag to go with it so you can take your whole dresser with you. I have the removable sissybar with a bag that mounts to that, and am thinking about getting saddlebags as well. I am just not sure when I will have money to take a trip if I keep spending it all on things for the bike. LOL Lets see some pics of the saddlebags...
I am actually going to photo-document the install process and post the pix here when done.

The problem I had when buying them is that some people said the turn signal relocation was required for these bags and other said no... Dave @ EasyBrackets and I got to talking and these bags are right at the edge of the largest size they recommend for their "regular" size bracket... With the ST-R1 bracket you use the front two bolts and no relocation is required. With the ST-L1 bracket you use the two rear bolts and you have to relocate... I went with the R1 and I am going to see if I can make it work. If not... Guess I will be moving my rear turn signals. =(

The big thing for me is that I really like how my bike looks. I get grief from some guys about how "stock" my FB looks... but I like that. And to be honest... makes mine look pretty original since everyone else feels the need to trick theirs out. Mine becomes different without me spending a dime.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's my only complaint about the Fat Boy. I like bags on my bike and with the shot gun pipes the bags for a Fat Boy are small and to me they look strange on the bike.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm glad you posted this, I was looking at some bags and saw the dimensions on them and thought hhmmm.....those sound a little small. The dimensions were something like 5.5 inches thick, 12 inches tall, and about 11 inches long. Yeah, I dont think thats the exact size, but I remember thinking they would be small.

To bad the company's dont always show a picture of the model bag and bike your buying for.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My leatherworks bags are huge!
I can fit my oversized HPDV9000 laptop in there...

I put them on with the stock deluxe pipes, but have since changed to longshots which gave a lot more room.
When they are off, you almost can't tell the mounts are there.
Be careful because the biggest leatherworks bags, have a real small opening. Also, the lady that owns them (I can't remember her name) will make a custom set to your specs.

I am very happy with mine. Good quality. Not too expensive. Fit and finish are great, and they haven't leaked in the rain yet...

Pic in my gallery.. Oh, don't use their website, call and ask for a catalogue. Much more info.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine seem roomy enough, but like your shop or polebarn, whats ok now isnever really big enough down the road.....

Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No remorse here.. I did the smaller bag thing.. Stepped up to bags big enough to stuff jimmy hoffa in. Doesn't feel like it's any less a "fatboy" but rather a fatboy with some big-as$ cool bags on it...

Before (some cool but smaller Harley bags.. quick detach):

After (Iron Max bags by Ironbags.. hard-mounted, no quick-detach, Huge 12-14 oz leather):

Yes I know I've been meaning to get some good pics in the sun of the finished project with the license plate frame. You don't have to be limited to smaller bags on a fatboy due to the signals on the struts.. They can come off easy enough.

Quick Reply: Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse