General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:57 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse

Jeez, just how old is that Laptop?? It isn't one of the Intel 386 jobs with the 40 meg hard drive is it. I had one of those and to call it a laptop is silly unless your lap is the size of king kongs. I know that thing wouldn't fit in myRoad King bags and it would probably exceed the load limit of the bike anyway.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the pipes to be like the Heritage and then you can get a full size bag. Problem solved.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Babs

No remorse here.. I did the smaller bag thing.. Stepped up to bags big enough to stuff jimmy hoffa in. Doesn't feel like it's any less a "fatboy" but rather a fatboy with some big-as$ cool bags on it...

Before (some cool but smaller Harley bags.. quick detach):

After (Iron Max bags by Ironbags.. hard-mounted, no quick-detach, Huge 12-14 oz leather):

Yes I know I've been meaning to get some good pics in the sun of the finished project with the license plate frame. You don't have to be limited to smaller bags on a fatboy due to the signals on the struts.. They can come off easy enough.

hmmm... yeah... for me I think that is a bit much. It looks nice and everything... but just not for me. If I need to get that much baggage on a bike I guess I need to move on over to a street glide. =)

Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bosnmate

Jeez, just how old is that Laptop?? It isn't one of the Intel 386 jobs with the 40 meg hard drive is it. I had one of those and to call it a laptop is silly unless your lap is the size of king kongs. I know that thing wouldn't fit in my Road King bags and it would probably exceed the load limit of the bike anyway.
not old... just large. 15" Powerbook.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That and Bubbasbrake.com ... License plate mount with mounting points for the rear turn signals.

Fatboys have that nasty problem of signals on the struts that are in the way if you want to go LARGE. Get Bubba's kit and it's fixed.. Moves the signals off the struts further back to their laydown billet plate mount. Very cool. You can see how the wires route in my top two pics above.. into a hole between the three bolts, down into the taillight. Or strut mounted mini-bullets like Tom did on his SE, which looks very cool too.. right on the struts but small enough to allow for bags around them.

Reference thread of my install: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1040217/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Also, either the Freedom or Iron Max from Ironbags would probably be large enough for a laptop.. Maybe also the Iron Thunder.. None cheap, but all worth it.. The build quality.. top o' the line.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Babs

That and Bubbasbrake.com ... License plate mount with mounting points for the rear turn signals.

Fatboys have that nasty problem of signals on the struts that are in the way if you want to go LARGE. Get Bubba's kit and it's fixed.. Moves the signals off the struts further back to their laydown billet plate mount. Very cool. You can see how the wires route in my top two pics above.. into a hole between the three bolts, down into the taillight. Or strut mounted mini-bullets like Tom did on his SE, which looks very cool too.. right on the struts but small enough to allow for bags around them.

Reference thread of my install: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1040217/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
That's actually pretty cool... I had posted a few times asking about a similar relocation kit from Great Bike Gear but no one had any comments. I will check the bubbasbrake regardless.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, guys it's 2007. Think outta the box. Or more appropriately, in the box. Need to go to Daytona? Why do you think you gotta throw everything you need on the bike.

Throw 4 extra pairs of jeans, a pair of shoes maybe, a lighter jacket - put them in a box and UPS them to your hotel. Of course you need to keep the box for the return trip, and make sure you have a way to drop the box off or schedule a pickup at the hotel for the return.

It means you gotta pack rain gear, two pairs of jeans, two or 3 shirts and 3 pairs of underwear and apparently the laptop in the saddlebags. Happy trails..

Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

I looked at them all.. correction: I stressed over them all.. From the Great Bike Gear product to bubba's to even the Aurora kit from CCI to trying to fab something.. as well as the little lite brackets by cycle visions.. The Bubba's kit was hands down a good decision on my part I think. I have a criticism or two about it, but not much.. A great design I think. You do get to break out a drill bit to your rear fender but it's NOT that bad.. Just masking tape, a sheet metal bit, a beer or two to get over the nerves and some nice dremmel work to smooth out a nice rounded hole, then touch up with rustoleum. It's in a spot between the three bolts, so it's NEVER seen, unless you completely took the plate off to go somewhere else.. Then cover it up with cycle visions pyramid plate if you had to. I've highly researched it.. can ya tell. hehehe

Tom in that thread I linked went with kuryakyn strut mounted mini bullets.. If going that route, I'd highly recommend the Drag radius laydown plate mount so you can see both bullets from all angles because it curves the plate flat around the fender. But that install looked really very simple too.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Not to throw cold water on this little detail, but why in the hell do you want to bring a computer on a road trip? That's the second to the last thing I want to have any contact with while having fun. (#1 would be my first ex-wife.)

$.02

Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Specifically on that bubbasbrake kit.. $120 plate mount + $50 oval frame = $170... Get the frame with the mount. You'd have trouble getting just the right length hardware for the bottom two posts of the plate.. It's thicker there due to the mounts for the signals. Plus the oval frame looks pretty cool around the lic. plate.

Quick Reply: Saddlebags... a little buyer's remorse