General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Gas... What should be done before starting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
M.T.1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Gas... What should be done before starting...

New here and just picked up my first Harley. I bought a real nice 04 Road King with 6000 original miles on it. Super clean and super stock. Problem is its has been sitting for at least 3 years with gas in the tank. It smells really old but hasn't turned to varnish yet. Being it is a fuel injected bike I was wondering what I should do besides drain and refill with new fuel. Was planning on pulling the plugs and lubing the cylinders with WD40 or something similar. Is there a fuel filter in the tank that should be replaced?

I have extensive wrenching experience so I will be doing this myself... Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the tank full? If not, I would top it off with the highest octane available, drive it down a quarter tank, top it off again, repeat several times. If you can drain it first, that's a big plus. Add some OMC Engine Tuner (available at any marine dealer) to clean up the injectors and fuel lines. That is what is used by many marine dealers to get boat engines running that have sat with old gas.

My Yamaha XS1100 sat for a year after I had back surgery in '94, and gummed up the carbs. The OMC Engine Tuner cleaned them right out. I was given that tip by a fellow MSF instructor who ran a small engine repair shop.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If you want to lube the cylinders Marvels Mystery Oil is good. I'd drain the tank, fill with fresh gas and add some Seafoam (you can also add some MMO to the gas).
I'd change the oil (all 3 holes), flush the brake fluid. New fuel filter is a good idea as well.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil the cylinders with oil--not wd40. Spin the engine over without the plugs and let that oil work into them rings and cylinder walls. New spark plugs with anti-seize on them. Drain the tank. New gas. I don't like additives like sea foam but that is your call. Gas filter on fuel injected bikes is in the tank and is not an easy change out without a manual or knowing what you are doing. Change the oil and oil filter. Treat this engine like a somewhat knew engine. Don't dog it or lug it and let these parts wear back in together. Charge the battery before riding and do your alternator a favor. Just my opinion.

Last edited by oldairboater; 10-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So you bought a used bike with out riding it or starting it?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
I was thinking the same thing. Dump the gas.

Smooth, your damn avatar is distracting! But.....I'm not complaining.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 PM
M.T.1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
No not quite... This thing is brand new! Ive known the bike ever since the previous owner bought it new. Did some trade work on his Hot rod in trade. The bike is ultra clean just been sitting for years. Thanks for the input... The tank has been drained and filled with high test. Ran oil in the the cylinders without plugs. Needs a new battery but other than that I think its time to fire it off. In fact I think I have more miles on it than he did. LOL

Last edited by M.T.1; 10-29-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM
IronWright
Road Captain

Last edited by IronWright; 10-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

siphon as much fuel out as you can, and put it in your car(it burns fine in larger engines) fill the tank with fresh fuel. don't worry about the little bit of old fuel left in the bike, it will mix with the new stuff. change oil once the engine gets hot, then go ride and enjoy it. you don't need to over think it.

Last edited by j1mmy; 10-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM
M.T.1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by j1mmy
siphon as much fuel out as you can, and put it in your car(it burns fine in larger engines) fill the tank with fresh fuel. don't worry about the little bit of old fuel left in the bike, it will mix with the new stuff. change oil once the engine gets hot, then go ride and enjoy it. you don't need to over think it.

Got it, thanks... Just a bit over concerned about fuel injection. It's a Done Deal.

Quick Reply: Old Gas... What should be done before starting...