General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the oil too frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This was just covered.

Too frequent can be a waste of money.

For those still going 3k, try a Blackstone Oil Analysis and see if you can go longer. You can.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

It's obvious that marketing by the oil companies is very, very effective. The picture of the gooped-up valve train above is very misleading. I'd wager that there was something else besides oil change intervals going on there.

I have a 2006 Porsche that the factory recommends 10,000 miles between changes, which I've adhered to. I had reason to pull a valve cover recently (seeping gasket) and the valve train looked brand new. Do you honestly think Porsche would honor a warranty and recommend a 10,000 mile interval if there was a risk of engine damage?

There's no such thing as 'break-in' oil. The 1,000 mile oil change is a hold-over from the days when motorcycles did not have filters.

There's more snake oil and false information about motor oils/change intervals than any single automotive topic (in my humble opinion). Most people just believe what they see in advertising (and many oil tests are promoted by companies selling motor oil...coincidence?). Everyone wants to believe that they are doing the best they can do for their cherished machines. Can't blame em. But where is the truth outside of the ads?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=SteveMKentucky;

There's no such thing as 'break-in' oil. The 1,000 mile oil change is a hold-over from the days when motorcycles did not have filters.

Disagree. Breaking in an engine properly then changing the oil is standard procedure on cars and bikes. You break in a new/rebuilt engine with standard oil, then keep the same or switch to syn at that point. There's a lot happening at break in.......rings seating, grease and lubes floating around and all kinds of stuff wearing in. The first oil change is critical in determining what's going on.......filter or no filter.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Porsche breaks in their motors prior to customer delivery.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
It's obvious that marketing by the oil companies is very, very effective. The picture of the gooped-up valve train above is very misleading. I'd wager that there was something else besides oil change intervals going on there.
Yeh, for one that it is the engine of a Renault 4 and it's 1960's technology. The newest one is well over 20 years old now but, this one looks like the head of a 51cu in engine from the 70's.
Our newer HD engines are far superior to those engines and imo will not suffer at all from oil changes at even 10k. Severe conditions and especially heat will require more frequent changes though.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:03 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it feels good do it. It makes me feel good to know I have changed the oils and the cost is no more than people spend at the pub. I like to go to the pub cos that makes me feel good too. Do what you want we are all different but no one will convince me that changing the oil is not good for the longevity of my motor. If you change your bike often and you are not into the mech side of things, Ignore my comments and just keep riding because that feels good to you and that's ok with me.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 64 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Porsche breaks in their motors prior to customer delivery.
Porsche does not break in the engines prior to delivery. I've been to the factory. If they did there would be no break-in instructions in the owners manual. Can you provide a reference for this break-in that they do prior to delivery?

Edit: Here's a link to the process of engine test at Porsche. Note that they do not "break them in" and consider the break in period by the customer to be critical:

http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

Last edited by SteveMKentucky; 05-19-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
Porsche does not break in the engines prior to delivery. I've been to the factory. If they did there would be no break-in instructions in the owners manual. Can you provide a reference for this break-in that they do prior to delivery?

Edit: Here's a link to the process of engine test at Porsche. Note that they do not "break them in" and consider the break in period by the customer to be critical:

http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/
No I cant, it was misinformation. I seem to remember each engine tested to redline?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I started using Amsoil and wanted to know if the claims of long oil life where BS.
With 8K miles between an oil change I sent a sample in to Blackstone Labs, a reputable lab. The report I received showed the oil to be almost perfect and comment was to do another couple thousand miles next time before sending the oil in for testing. If using Amsoil the company says its oil filter must be used for the results which I did.

Keep in mind that Mobil 1 20-50 is about the same composition as Amsoil so I would expect quite similar life although I have not tested it.