General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the oil too frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Absolutely, here is a good pic of what happens when you don't change your oil often enough.

I'm on this side of the fence as well. There is no combustion by-products that enter the primary or transmission (if there is you have a boat load of other isues LOL). After 20k I MIGHT start to think about changing those two. I know in cars with standard shift trannies and differentials they go for that kind of mileage before getting changed.

cheers
That pic looks like someone didn't change their oil ever and ran it dry. I use synthetic and change it every 5k miles like the manual says. I really doubt anything would happen if I changed it once a year but I don't.

Last edited by barjbar; 10-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess you do what make's you happy. I change my oil in every car or truck I have ever owned every 3 k. Never had any trouble engine wise in any, I have ever owned. Change my bike oil every 2500, too often I'm sure, but makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Absolutely, here is a good pic of what happens when you don't change your oil often enough.

I'm on this side of the fence as well. There is no combustion by-products that enter the primary or transmission (if there is you have a boat load of other isues LOL). After 20k I MIGHT start to think about changing those two. I know in cars with standard shift trannies and differentials they go for that kind of mileage before getting changed.

cheers

That is what I was talking about. Not quite that drastic but yeah.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Used to change the oil in my 95 ultra every 2500, easy to keep up with. When I traded it in, it had 168k miles with no internal engine work. Ran strong and didnt smoke. Buddys evo just turned 300k. Miles not metric miles. He was the one who told me change every 2500. We used Castrol gtx 20w50. I use synthetic in my 12 limited but will change it at 5k.

Your results might vary but it worked for us.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I've been doing it at 3K, but I'm well over 5K right now, so I'll probably do one next week. It has occurred to me that doing the primary and transmission as often as the engine oil is also a waste. Also not replacing my swing arm bearings at 20K and I'm well over 20K on the fork oil.
The primary and the trannies getting a change regular is a preventive / diagnostic thing not because the oil goes bad so much as what comes out like is the oil clean with minimal fuzz in the plug magnet , does the oil had a metallic sheen to it with grit you can feel on the plug ect . These things are a big indicator of what's going on inside with small parts like gear faces , bearing , bushings , clutch plate material and stuff like that . Isn't about just the oil .

Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Don't forget short trips, or very cold weather......moisture will condense in the oil and if the bike doesn't get hot enough to boil it out, it will turn to a glue-like white load of phlegm.

I like to change my oil at 3000 miles, but I subtract all the miles on a road trip from that. A good long hot ride will get rid of the moisture.

My top end starts rattling more after 3 or 4 thousand routine miles, or 5 or so thousand road trip miles.

I will even change the oils because I have nothing else to do.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The interval on my bike is 6000 miles and the cars are 5000. If I don't log 6000 in a year then I'll change it once a year. My Harleys would get engine at 3-5000 and trans at 15-20,000.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i change engine oil about once a year, i have never changed trans or primary oil unless it is taken apart for something.. in all the years i have been driving and working in garages, i have only changed transmission/diff oil a hand full of times each.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

There are any number of businesses that will analyze your used oil. Large fleets do this with every single oil change and track the results religiously by VIN. Lots of opinions in this thread . . . but each rider and each bike will be different . . . if only out of curiosity I'd recommend that you have your oil analyzed the next oil change you do. Google <used oil analysis kit> . . . over 3 million hits!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way to know how an oil is doing in your engine is to have it tested at a lab, everything else is just people bullshitting each other.

Last edited by Markk9; 10-30-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing the oil too frequently?