General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated and saddened by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Frustrated and saddened by dealer

Is it just me or does it kinda make you sad when your Harley dealership treats you with total indifference. Don't get me wrong it really pisses me off, then as I get home and think about the fact thatI would drive 50 miles to go to this shop, Now I will have to find a new place to hang out. It really is like losing a friend. But there comes a point when you have to take a stand, and being lied to and just in general receiving the most arrogant, uninterested service, signals that it is time to go. I still Have to resolve the issue, and then it will be time to move on. Rant over
So, what if anything can we do to stop this spiraling service issue with Harley shops, and better yet why doesn't the MOCO do something to protect the good name of something that is loved by millions.
The issue is I received as a gift, Items from the clothing dept. My wife purchased them and asked specifically can they be returned, as she was buying them for a gift and didnt know ifI would want them. Oh yesyou can return them with no problem. Great, so Yesterday (Sunday) I take them back with tags attached and they look it up print out the receipt, then she preceeds to tell me that she needs to talk to another lady,(because someone got in big trouble theother day for taking something back)the new Lady goes to a "manager" that cant make that decision to take them back, and I am told that the clothes manager will be back next friday and I can come back then. So I say to the person that originally sold the clothes, Wait, there is no decision that needs to be made, You said when they were purchased that they could be returned with no problem, and she replys " yesI said that, But things change" What kinda crap is that. What it boils down to is that management has everyone in that store scared to death to make a decision, and apparently there is no clear policy as to how they are going to conduct business. And here is the real clincher, WhenI walked in I said, I want to return these, But I dont want the money back, I just want a store credit, so I can purchase some other things. Guess what, nowI want the Money back and they have lost atleast two customers over this. What a very short sighted way to do business.
Oh , and they rest of the story is, when ever you purchased things there you got a card punched, when you had filled the card you received 25 dollars off . Well They up and stopped that, want accept them because something happened, little signs up say sorry for the inconvienence. So now these cards you have been saving are worthlessless as well.
Sorry for the long rant, I am just fed up. I have sent a letter to the Shop, was told I couldnt speak to the Owner and the "manager" would Also be out till next Friday

Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Frustrated and saddened by dealer

Some dealers are just f'd up. Nice thing about Dallas is any of them that **** me off is easily replaced. But HD NT, Longhorn, and Eagle are all great in the area. HD Dallas is OK for service, but love to mark up the prices over MSRP.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Mathews,
That's just suck-o-matic! Don't ever darken their doorway again. Imagine all the other bad things they could do to your scoot with that kind of ownership. For your own peace of mind, just move on. And, call Mama Milwaukee if you feel you want to. Anyway, sorry for the direct advice... that's what I'd do.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear your pain my brotha....I have one dealer that I will never let touch my bike again. Another that I will never buy anything from again.

In a sense, I feel like they did me a favor. Now, I wrench on my bike myself. If I can't wrench it, it don't need a wrenchin. Also, by not shopping at the stealership, I don't buy hundred's of dollars of stuff I don't need. So in the end, I have more money in my pocket and more knowledge in my noggin.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer

I would definitely find another dealer. I wouldn't waste my time calling or writing to the moco. I had a warranty issue with my wifes bike that finally got resolved after 6 months. I sent the moco a letter expressing my disatisfaction and never got a response at all. I did however get a letter from them as the warranty was about to expire wanting me to purchase an extended warranty! I promptly threw that in the trash. The moco doesn't even have a 1-800 number for customer service, trust me they don't want to hear from you.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Mathews2
I have sent a letter to the Shop, was told I couldnt speak to the Owner and the "manager" would Also be out till next Friday
That's a crock o' bullshit. Any time anyone tells you that you can't speak to the Owner, it's a tell tale sign that they don't want 'something' to be revealed/known. If the management in place is of the inclination NOT to put you in contact with the owners of the dealership, do the necessary legwork YOURSELF and find out who they are and contact them accordingly. If it's a privately owned dealership, finding out the owner(s) is incredibly easy. Just go down to your courthouse and see who the company's registered owner(s) happens to be on the books. Easier still, if the dealership is corporately owned, the principals of the corporation are simple to disclose.

If you are steadfast in wanting to do something about it, then you have quite a few alternatives as your disposal:

a) Find out who the owner(s)/principal(s) are, contact them, advise them of your situation, and suggest that you'd like to meet them in person in order to go over your concerns in greater detail. If you are able to secure a meeting with the owner(s)/principal(s), remember to take said meeting with the degree of serious that you believe it to be. Said meeting should not be regarded as informal. Lodge your complaints/concerns IN WRITING. Wherever possible, and in turn, offer up what you would consider to be a solution to your complaints/concerns; no matter how extreme you consider them to be. See this thread I initiated regarding this issue:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1206573/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

b) File a formal complaint with your local BBB bureau. Contrary to popular opinion, these types of complains DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Although business owners are not obligated to reply to the complaint, they are given 30 daysfor same. Either way, the initial complaint will remain 'on the books' indefinitely for all others to see when/if they did a search on said company. The complaint will read as either unresolved or that the company failed to reply to said complaint. Either of which are not good for prospective clientele. Print out and mail a copy of said complaint via registered mail to the company in question.

c) Contact your local media (I have in times past in certain situations). Let's face it, Harley is a buzz word that will garner anyone in the media's attention. Every news station has a consumer type reporter. And they are always eager to get some dirt on a company not treating the consumer properly. Contact them and convey to them your ongoing dissatisfaction with said company, ill-fated attempts at any resolution from said company, and your concern that others in the community are more than likely being treated with the same dissent.

d) Draft a PRESS RELEASE and fax (in addition to mailing via certified mail a hardcopy) it to the organization in question. That's right, a PRESS RELEASE. This is almost guaranteed to garner the attention of anyone in management. In said press release, be specific in detailing WHEN the release is slatedfor public distributionin the event that you have not heard from the ownership of the company. If they blow you off, send the PRESS RELEASE out as scheduled. Rest assured, you'll hear from someone in short order.

As a consumer, you have but two choices when it comes to being on the receiving end of poor service. You can take your business and monies elsewhere and never give said establishment a second thought again. Or you can make the determination to 'make some noise' in an effort to get some of your concerns acknowledged and hopefully resolved. There is no middle ground.

Much has been said on these forums that people should just 'walk away' and never look back. I can both understand and respect such a position. Further, there are guys on here

Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did they have a sign posted that says, "no returns"?

If not, I'd shoot off a letter/email to the Attorney General of your state describing what you just said--especially the "things change" line--and CC the owner of the dealership. Get the Better Business Bureau involved as well.

That should get their attention. Bastards.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
tourman
Cruiser

Great points TX, Can't agree more.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I said a long time ago screw the stealer. however, they inticed me back this weekend w/a free $20 gift card - no strings. sooooo I went to redeem my $20. all went well, but I was just reminded how ridiculous the mark-ups are.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

Dude, don't **** off TXHarleyGuy....

Quick Reply: Frustrated and saddened by dealer