General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

earplugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: earplugs anyone?

While everyone is allowed their own opinion, your post raises some questions....

1. Do you use standard earplugs to protect your hearing?

2. Do you feel the same way about radios on Ultras?

3. Do you feel the same way about handlebar stereos?

4. Will you attend a group ride with riders that have the above on their bikes?

5. What are you riding?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I feel the need to challenge your safety concern. I have recieved extensive training in the operation of emergency vehicles. I drive ambulances andfiretrucks for a living.

I agreewith you that in attentive driversare adanger on the road. But to immediately label those of us who like music (and those radio traffic updates) as being unsafe is a bit extreme.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: firefighter3666

While everyone is allowed their own opinion, your post raises some questions....

1. Do you use standard earplugs to protect your hearing?

2. Do you feel the same way about radios on Ultras?

3. Do you feel the same way about handlebar stereos?

4. Will you attend a group ride with riders that have the above on their bikes?

5. What are you riding?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I feel the need to challenge your safety concern. I have recieved extensive training in the operation of emergency vehicles. I drive ambulances andfiretrucks for a living.

I agreewith you that in attentive driversare adanger on the road. But to immediately label those of us who like music (and those radio traffic updates) as being unsafe is a bit extreme.
1 Yes I wear standard earplugs when rideing. with a fullface helmet
2.no I don't feel that way about radios on altras.
3 same as above.
4.yes I will, it is only the earplug speakers that I have a problem with
5. I ride a 1999 FLHT 141,000 miles on it, no radio and I just got a 06 FXD last year also no radio

I don't think your trying to flame me at all, you ask good questions..My own Brother rides a ultra and always plays his radio, I ride with him as much as possibe.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

I think that listening to music when on the road alone is fine, perhaps I didn't make that clear, its when you rideing in a group, like say a HOG Ride, or just a bunch of friends out together for a ride..I'm sure none of you are guilty of that. that is when I think it can be bad.and yes i am opinionated when it comes to my saftywhat you do is up to you..would I refuse to ride with you? probably not, but I would be very leary when I see your head keeping time with the music. I would either think you had a bee in your helmet or that it was the music, either way I'm backing off.
I ride with friends and in groups quite a bit, and if we are heading out on a decent length trip, I listen to music. It doesn't affect my attention or riding whatsoever. I am as alert and safe as when I'm riding with no music. If anything, having the constant droning of wind noise tends to lull me, while the changing of songs helps keep me alert.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

its when you rideing in a group, like say a HOG Ride....I'm sure none of you are guilty of that.
You're right, I'm not guilty of that.

Hey, Bear, I'm just pulling your leg a little Don't mean any harm...

You're right, it certainly can be unsafe in many circumstances. But it isn't always unsafe, as you acknowledge. I almost always ride alone--most of it is freeway riding--and in many cases I think that the music keeps me more alert, not less. I do think that if I rode in a crowd, I'd be more inclined to worry about the folks with the crinkly new leathers than oldtimers with earbuds in their ears. Which is one reason I have a policy of never riding in crowds.

Philip

Old 01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
mgumto
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like the noise canceling ear buds are what I am gonna try. Like the idea of listening to music if it cancels out most of the pipe and wind noise...and I agree that most of us are experienced drivers and listening to music is safe. We are a lot better drivers than the 16 year old driving down the road blaring music...

Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I can hear the exhaust a little differently with the earplugs.. I think I even ride differently / better with the plugs, because I have a little better perception of how the engine is doing without the crackle.. I'm different with the throttle and gear changes.

And it keeps the windnoise and cold out. I use them all the time.. Just way too fatiquing on the ears not to. If riding with a windshield, I can go with or without earplugs but I prefer plugs and windsheild for longer rides. Same 1/2 shell though. Dang clausterphobic (pls excuse spelling) inside a full-face unless it's bitter cold.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:50 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

..., why would I ever want to listen to music on a Ipod? when I have the best music between my legs.
I know the poem says beans are the musical fruit, but reallythey are kidding.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:53 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's the wind that causes the damage to your ears, even with a FF helmet.
I have severe hearing loss from my profession and my negligence with hearing protection.
Protect your hearing. Now it's difficult for me to hear my wife when she's "conversing". Seems her voice is in the sound range that I've lost.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: grunt

..., why would I ever want to listen to music on a Ipod? when I have the best music between my legs.
I know the poem says beans are the musical fruit, but reallythey are kidding.
[sm=confused06.gif][sm=coolness.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been half deaf all my life, tinnitus since 17 (yeah that sucks!) But like my music and wear it riding....so I'll be a crusty old bastard that can't hear, cusses and generally doesn't give a crap what people think.....hold it, I'm already there! Wishing for better riding weather in Texas!!!!

Quick Reply: earplugs anyone?