General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

earplugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
MT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: earplugs anyone?

Wear em on the freeway due to wind not pipes (have staright pipes)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I spent my working life in an airplane factory, so I wore earplugs full time while at work. They do not block off your hearing, to the point that they would be considered a danger, while riding a motorcycle. I could actually hear conversations better with them in, because they would tone down the roar of the factory noise. I have loud pipes and wear a full face helmet and have yet to wear ear plugs while riding. Thanks to this post I will hopefully remember to start using them.
Tom

Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
shortfatboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wore them with the dragpipes I had, but went to a V and H 2 into 1, which is much milder, no earplugs needed

Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Here's the best answer I've found: Etymotic ER6i in-ear speakers, available on Buy.com for around $79. They come with two types of ear inserts: flanged rubber and soft foam. I use the soft foam. They are excellent at canceling out a lot of the noise around you, while passing through sound from your iPod (or in my case XM radio off my Garmin 2730 GPS). Even when I'm not listening to music I use the earbuds as simple earplugs, Very comfy, even on long rides.

I already have tinnitus from over 40 years of riding, and wish I'd used earplugs from the beginning. Of course, I wish I'd done a lot of things from the beginning....

Philip

Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also look at the Shure line of stereo earphones. They block out alot of ambient background noise, and come with 6 different ear plugs. Santa brought me a pair for X-mas, and I love me.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Bear64
Banned

Personally I would just as soonnot have you guys that have Ipods and radio speakers in your ears rideing with me, your not safe, don't care how much you argue it, when rideing a motorcyle you need all your attention on what your doing, not diddy bopping with the latest tunes.I don't even like the idea that car drivers have a radio blareing in there..the roads are dangerous enough as it is..my self, I enjoy the bike, the ride and the noise of my bike, why would I ever want to listen to music on a Ipod? when I have the best music between my legs. I guess it would be ok to listen to music if your rideing alone, but when with somebody else, I think your putting their life in danger. in-attention is our greatest danger..

Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Personally I would just as soon not have you guys that have Ipods and radio speakers in your ears rideing with me, your not safe, don't care how much you argue it, when rideing a motorcyle you need all your attention on what your doing, not diddy bopping with the latest tunes.I don't even like the idea that car drivers have a radio blareing in there..the roads are dangerous enough as it is..my self, I enjoy the bike, the ride and the noise of my bike, why would I ever want to listen to music on a Ipod? when I have the best music between my legs. I guess it would be ok to listen to music if your rideing alone, but when with somebody else, I think your putting their life in danger. in-attention is our greatest danger..
Well, no problem there; I wouldn't want to put your opinionated life in danger by "diddy bopping" down the road, as everyone does who listens to music while they ride. Also, thanks for telling us what you enjoy, and thanks as well for the warning about inattention. Your post was both helpful and informative.

Philip

Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Personally I would just as soonnot have you guys that have Ipods and radio speakers in your ears rideing with me, your not safe, don't care how much you argue it, when rideing a motorcyle you need all your attention on what your doing, not diddy bopping with the latest tunes.I don't even like the idea that car drivers have a radio blareing in there..the roads are dangerous enough as it is..my self, I enjoy the bike, the ride and the noise of my bike, why would I ever want to listen to music on a Ipod? when I have the best music between my legs. I guess it would be ok to listen to music if your rideing alone, but when with somebody else, I think your putting their life in danger. in-attention is our greatest danger..
Well, I find that listening to music on long straight roads actually keeps me more alert. I don't have music onwhile commutingin traffic orwhile doing the sport bike thing or riding the Harley on curvy back roads, but musiccan be a lifesaver on long straight roads.

And yes, I use ear plugs anytime I ride on either bike.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bassman

I either wear noise cancelling ear buds (when I am listening to the MP3 player) or ear plugs. Its not the pipes that bother me, its the wind.
Ditto! Except I use noise isolating earbuds - Shure E3C in-ear monitors.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Bear64
Banned

I think that listening to music when on the road alone is fine, perhaps I didn't make that clear, its when you rideing in a group, like say a HOG Ride, or just a bunch of friends out together for a ride..I'm sure none of you are guilty of that. that is when I think it can be bad.and yes i am opinionated when it comes to my saftywhat you do is up to you..would I refuse to ride with you? probably not, but I would be very leary when I see your head keeping time with the music. I would either think you had a bee in your helmet or that it was the music, either way I'm backing off.

Quick Reply: earplugs anyone?