General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

earplugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: earplugs anyone?

I always wear earplugs on a long ride and sometimes even on the shorter rides if it's cold out, but always on longer rides since I have V&H Big Shots on the bike (they are fairly loud). I wear a half helmet so even the wind beating on my ears over a long ride gets to them.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 48 years of rideing I must confess I sure wish I would have wore earplugs and glasses..I now suffer from severe ringing in my ears and a condition called dry eye..although one looks cool blasting down the road without a helmet, earplugs or glasses when you finally reach the age of regretts, that will be one of them..

Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I have to agee cobb, my hearing is shot from years of riding, working in the trades as well as rock n roll music.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wear ear plugs except forshort rides around town.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

Let's see: Loud Pipes saves lives but wearing earplugs to keep from going deaf will probably end up killing you because you have cut down on one of your important senses.

Makes sense to me!!
Actually I can hear everything just fine, thank you very much (eh? What did you say? ). I can hear things like my stereo at speed, as well as horns, tires screeching, etc. Pipes still have that nice rumble while riding. What it cuts down on is the background noise, such as the wind rushing past you, which is the part that is really destructive to your hearing.

I was a huge doubter/disbeliever, especially that I'd still be able to hear my stereo while riding. Until I tried them. You should try them as well before you knock them......

Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see: Loud Pipes saves lives but wearing earplugs to keep from going deaf will probably end up killing you because you have cut down on one of your important senses.

Makes sense to me!!
Must not do much hiway riding, do ya?

I can tell you from experience300+ miles at 70+ mphwill leave your ears ringing for quite some time - far more than the loud pipes you rail constantly against.

So earplugs are EXTREMELY sensible. I had a set of custom molded made, and they allow me to still hear rather well, but cut down on that wind whistle.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

some helmets are quieter than others. There is a certain amount of wind noise generated by wind flowing past the helmet/ears, couple that with the drone of pipes at hiway speeds on longer runs and you will get fatigue. you might look at www.aerostich.com they have an assortment of reusable ear plugs. By getting the assortment, you can find a pair of plugs you feel comfortable wearing and reduces noise.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Corby
Intermediate

Yep, I wear em all the time, long or short trips. Geez my ears are bad enough from all those jets while in the fleet, I'm trying to preserve what hearing I still got

Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Cav
Road Warrior

Makes sense to me!!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

(and I ride on the highway a lot, if anybody asks....FF helmet and typically at 75-80mph)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:25 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: grunt

Makes sense to me!!
Must not do much hiway riding, do ya?

I've done and still do alot of highway miles. I guess perhaps the thing that makes a big difference is that I always ride behind a windshield or fairing. I have never taken a long highway trip without one or the other. This has to make a difference because I have never (key word being never) had a need for ear plugs.

Quick Reply: earplugs anyone?