General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Is it just me or has it gotten worse out there?

I remember back when most cars were driven with the windows down which meant drivers could actually hear what was going on around them.

Back then, it seems like there was less traffic and nobody had cell phones.

Even then, there was an occasional close call but lately it seems like every day at least one car tries to kill me by pulling out in front of me or moving into my lane, unaware I'm there.

I've been able to avoid a crash for the last 25 years but I'm starting to wonder how much longer until my turn.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

It's not you.

Aside from the fact that there are just way more drivers in general, there is a huge increase in the number of young inexperienced, older sometimes less aware, unlicensed, and let's face it, less well trained, unconcerned, self focused, drunk, stoned, and distracted (Cell phone/texting) drivers on the road.

Just a fact of life that we must accept and adapt to, but Man, I sure do wish that there was a good way to sweep out those that are danger to better the odds.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onadraw
Is it just me or has it gotten worse out there?
Yes

I remember back when most cars were driven with the windows down which meant drivers could actually hear what was going on around them.
Almost everyone has A/C nowadays and isn't afraid to use it

Back then, it seems like there was less traffic and nobody had cell phones.
True

Even then, there was an occasional close call but lately it seems like every day at least one car tries to kill me by pulling out in front of me or moving into my lane, unaware I'm there.
People seem to be more self absorbed today and only worry about the space between their bumpers.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

The percentages of too young and too old drivers are probably about the same. But there are definitely more distracted drivers texting, talking on the phone, etc. They are a huge risk factor that didn't exist before. (In the "olden days" it only took a split second to look down and change the radio station.)

One other thing I have noticed on the increase is what I call the "NASCAR syndrome." I refer to drivers who tailgate, change lanes without warning, cutting closely around other cars and otherwise drive too aggressively.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

When I started riding in 1985 these problems were almost non existent. When I want to ride nowadays my purpose is to get out of town and away from all this ****. At the county fair this year some stupid bitch in a Suburban rear ended a covered wagon, totally destroying the wagon, hospitalizing the 2 people in it and killing 2 of the 4 horses. Now, if the stupid f***ing retard couldn't dig her head out of her *** long enough to see something as big as a covered wagon, how the hell is she going to see someone on a bike?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
When I started riding in 1985 these problems were almost non existent. When I want to ride nowadays my purpose is to get out of town and away from all this ****. At the county fair this year some stupid bitch in a Suburban rear ended a covered wagon, totally destroying the wagon, hospitalizing the 2 people in it and killing 2 of the 4 horses. Now, if the stupid f***ing retard couldn't dig her head out of her *** long enough to see something as big as a covered wagon, how the hell is she going to see someone on a bike?
What the. . .how the eff do you hit a covered wagon?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRooster
What the. . .how the eff do you hit a covered wagon?
I believe the person in the story "rear ended" it, meaning she hit it from behind.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
Oblivious is oblivious. I was hit when I stopped to take a left turn last winter. I was driving a 3/4 ton 4WD bright red pickup. If you can not see something the color and size of a barn stopped in the road, what exactly were they looking at?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RaSh
It's not you.

Aside from the fact that there are just way more drivers in general, there is a huge increase in the number of young inexperienced, older sometimes less aware, unlicensed, and let's face it, less well trained, unconcerned, self focused, drunk, stoned, and distracted (Cell phone/texting) drivers on the road.

Just a fact of life that we must accept and adapt to, but Man, I sure do wish that there was a good way to sweep out those that are danger to better the odds.
Agree...

Technology, evolution, stupidity and give a $hit have taken over.
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt

One other thing I have noticed on the increase is what I call the "NASCAR syndrome." I refer to drivers who tailgate, change lanes without warning, cutting closely around other cars and otherwise drive too aggressively.
I agree 100% this is the worst problem along with texters. the number of people who tailgate is way up along with the DISTANCE they do it at.
One guy was three feet behind my bike at 70 MPH and a truck so close on an entrance ramp that I couldn't see to merge.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?