General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new bike and wife story

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:01 AM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Default Another new bike and wife story

The things you never know about your wife of 12 years. I learned that my wife has her motorcycle endorsement from the late 80’s. She use to ride a mid 80’s goldwing.

My wife works for Mack Trucks, old time US company, and you can guess that most of the guys ride H-S’s. I mean the parking is full of bikes in the spring and summer. After getting the H-D Ultra Classic in August, the guys have been trying to get her to learn to ride. One of her co-workers and our friend is a riders edge instructor, kept at her about taking the class. Finally she comes clean and tells him she already knows how to ride, use to ride a goldwing 20 years ago. He convinced my wife to start riding again. She is taking the riders edge course this weekend, and our friend will work with her for the next few weekends. She has decided to make the Ultra Classic her bike, that is what she want to ride. Wife asked me to stop riding it. She doesn't want a “small bike”, she feels safer with the bigger bike. Our friend will make sure she can handle the bike before letting her lose on the streets.

So I have been given permission to get another H-D touring bike, so we can match. My wife’s restriction was that it has to be an H-D touring bike. Back to the dealer I go, I find a nice 2013 Ultra Limited in two tone yellow and back. So, last week I bought it, will post up some photos soon. We will be able to travel as family next summer, we have 2 kids. I think next summer is going to an interesting summer.

Now, all I have to do is talk her into getting some assless chaps.

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:09 AM
Twist n Smoke
Cruiser

Interesting, makes me wonder why this has never came up before now. I am assuming that she was on the back of the bike quite often and she never said she used to ride? Anyway congrats on the new sled and happy travels. I am sure you will find out more about your wife once you start to hit the road

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:16 AM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior

She has only been on the back of my bike once. Riding was my hobby until now, she never wanted to ride, asked her many times. Not complaining, I got a riding buddy and a new bike.

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:33 AM
t-bear
Cruiser

Sounds like a win win for you

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:41 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twist n Smoke
Interesting, makes me wonder why this has never came up before now. I am assuming that she was on the back of the bike quite often and she never said she used to ride?

I am sure you will find out more about your wife once you start to hit the road
My thoughts exactly. Seems like a pretty deep closet...

Regardless, congrats!

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:50 AM
REDSOX DELUXE
3rd Gear

Sounds like a great deal with your wife . I've pushing my wife to ride now that the kids are in college and my son rides with me as well. My daughter has no interest, good stay away from bikers PLEASE.

Old 10-24-2012 | 09:57 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad she didn't decide she wanted another Goldwing. Congrats and enjoy your riding together.

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:09 AM
Dark Knight
Road Captain

When guy's say they have that their wife has "given them permission" they actually mean that they both agreed right? And the wife's "restriction" is actually a "suggestion" right? Or are these the same guys that say "happy wife, happy life"???

Maybe I'm one of the few but my wife doesn't tell me what to do, lay restrictions or give me permission to do anything. And this works the other way around. Maybe I'm from the new generation or I'm just not ***** whipped???

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:12 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Markk9

... Now, all I have to do is talk her into getting some assless chaps.
Congrats! And once you've convinced her on the chaps, please post some pic's!

Old 10-24-2012 | 10:14 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

My wife rode with me for years before she decided to "go behind my back" and take the rider safety course.
I took a few years of her riding he own bike for me to feel comfortable.

Sounds like you have a keeper too!
It's nice to have a "cool" wife that actually encouraged me to purchase my "forever bike" ('98 Heritage Softail Anniversary Edition) as well as my recently acquired 2013 CVO S/E Ultra.

Quick Reply: Another new bike and wife story