General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Motorcycle Accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
................................. like it's open season on people who ride.
Always has been,always will be. Blaming "cagers" is a bullshit cop out for not riding heads up.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Been there and done that. Stupid driver.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,961 Likes on 22,549 Posts

Why do they say, "was wearing a helmet"?
Everyone knows NE is a helmet state...

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Always has been,always will be. Blaming "cagers" is a bullshit cop out for not riding heads up.
Horseshit! When a biker is riding along on a 2-lane road and some pickup coming from the other direction suddenly swerves into the biker's lane, hitting him head-on, it sure as hell wasn't the biker's fault! He's dead before the event can even register.

That has happened around here, and I'm sure everywhere else.

Most all of us do our best to ride on the constant lookout, but there are some things that can't be avoided no matter how alert you are.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Some 10 years my buddy had someone do a u-turn in front of him. He was going about 45 in an older half ton pick-up. No air bags. He hit the steering wheel with his chest and instantly killed him, stopped his heart the impact.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,608 Likes on 3,879 Posts

Originally Posted by avetter11
......It was later found that he had been having mini-strokes for a short while, and admitted that he was having trouble concentrating while driving. As hard as it was for him, he gave up driving.

He passed away in March...
Sorry, man. That must have been tough.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,608 Likes on 3,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Blaming "cagers" is a bullshit cop out for not riding heads up.
Says the guy who can see cars with their headlights off coming up behind him at midnight.

Bullshit copouts are bullshit coputs.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I hate to read about motorcycle accidents and actually try to avoid threads talking about them (see how well that's going lol). It's a reminder of how what we enjoy everyday can end in a second with one false move whether it's on our part or a cagers fault.
I remember once I cut off a biker in my dad's truck. After realizing what I did I felt terrible and waived to the guy to say "I'm sorry I'm a total ******* please don't key my dad's truck" ... I had a motorcycle accident when I was a new rider. Was sitting at a stoplight and got rear ended by a lady driving a buick going 40mph. Got my bell rung.

Don't ever forget even for a bit that what we do is dangerous. Since my accident (summer of 2010) there's not a single time I've gotten on a bike and not looked down at the tank and thought about how this ride could have more in store for me then I had hoped. Don't get on this forum and "bitch" about cagers not looking for bikers. Do something about it, when in the car with a friend or family member and they make a lane change point out that they shoulda looked twice for a bike (if they didnt) many folks on here may have a young son or daughter at home, if so when they become driving age and you're teaching them to drive stress the importance of them not becoming that cager cutting off a biker... done with my rant now thanks for reading lol

Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avetter11
A year ago I might have said the exact same thing, and you could be right. I'm not making any excuses for the truck driver, just that sometimes there are other things that can be a factor.

About a year ago, my dad did a similar move and decided to do a U in front of a semi coming the opposite direction. The truck hit him and he was okay except for some bruising and cracked ribs. He said he never saw the truck. It scared him pretty bad.

It was later found that he had been having mini-strokes for a short while, and admitted that he was having trouble concentrating while driving. As hard as it was for him, he gave up driving.

He passed away in March...
Sorry to hear about your Dad. It is something for all of us to remember no matter what the cause we need to be aware. My thoughts are with you.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Accidents all have causes. That is way companies have risk management.Prove the respondent (injured) was at fault (just a little) and the settlement is smaller. Ride smart drive a dump truck.

Quick Reply: Another Motorcycle Accident