General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Lock-Tite My Nuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I Lock-Tite My Nuts!!

Too much blue will turn your nuts red. Too much red and you need a second opinion. Once you get a second opinion (usually the wife) the red should subside until the blue returns - vicious cycle

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
recross
Tourer

Rule of thumb we use ....5/16 or larger-red.....5/16 or smaller-blue..not always the case but may give you a starting size......................
BC

Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't use lock-tite, you better drag a magnet bar behind you.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

The subject stud is an exhaust header stud, which will see temperatures well above the working limits of any lock-tite red or blue. Normal assembly methods would require a mechanical interference fit between the head and the stud. I don't know what method HD is using but it would be worth the effort to talk to an HD mech and determine to do next.

FBL

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: KenM

Too much blue will turn your nuts red. Too much red and you need a second opinion. Once you get a second opinion (usually the wife) the red should subside until the blue returns - vicious cycle
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

I put blue locktite on anything I bolt to the bike unless it calls specifically for red.
Ditto
Except I couldn't find it at home, when I was reinstalling the fender struts. My wife was out shopping, so I called and asked her to stop by the auto store and pick a tube up. They sold her Permatex Green and said it was the same as Loctite Blue. I read the application for the various colors of Permatex on the back of the box. As I recall it said the green was for preassembled parts. I read it twice and still couldn't figure what it was suppose to mean.
Since I am a bit on the lazy side and didn't want to go out and find some Loctite Blue, I used the Green stuff. Hopefully I will not have to use a blow torch to get the stuff back apart again.
Tom
As I understand it the green is for parts that have already been assembled. you put it on the bolt by the nut and it flows its way into the threads between the nut and bolt. I've used it before and never had a problem.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The stud should be in with no loctite. The nut should be replaced. They are slightly ovalled to hold them in place. From posts on here about this, these nuts should not be re-used.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

I put blue locktite on anything I bolt to the bike unless it calls specifically for red.
Ditto
Except I couldn't find it at home, when I was reinstalling the fender struts. My wife was out shopping, so I called and asked her to stop by the auto store and pick a tube up. They sold her Permatex Green and said it was the same as Loctite Blue. I read the application for the various colors of Permatex on the back of the box. As I recall it said the green was for preassembled parts. I read it twice and still couldn't figure what it was suppose to mean.
Since I am a bit on the lazy side and didn't want to go out and find some Loctite Blue, I used the Green stuff. Hopefully I will not have to use a blow torch to get the stuff back apart again.
Tom
As I understand it the green is for parts that have already been assembled. you put it on the bolt by the nut and it flows its way into the threads between the nut and bolt. I've used it before and never had a problem.
Thanks Sarge. Now it makes sense.
Tom

Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many puns in this post. Funny LMAO.

GT

Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Same here better safe then sorry.

Quick Reply: Should I Lock-Tite My Nuts!!