General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best HD dealer in Southwest Va

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Well where to begin? I trade in about every 2 to 3 years,usually anywhere from 30k-50k on the bike when I trade in. So here it goes,first off HD of Lynchburg. For the past five or so years they have been one of the best,trade in $ so so,but the OTD price and throw ins were hard to beat. Then this past year I believe around December they hired a new sales manager,and they are looking to expand their store. So you can guess what happens now,they are looking to make every buck they can. The trade in allowance has dropped dramatically,and the OTD is crap now. Don't believe me,they use to not be able to keep new model touring bikes on the floor,now they were left with a whole floor of 12's in September. So they started to offer the deal that they USE to offer to clear the 12's,but it's funny a year ago they would offer that same price on any current mode.

Roanoke Valley HD,for the past years they were very good on trade in allowance,and decent with OTD prices on all bikes. Now they are one of the best deals out there,a friend got him a 12 SG this past June for 2k off MSRP. The people that were going to Lynchburg now go to Roanoke,and they can't touch their prices.

I know it's a little out of the way,but Waugh HD in Orange is another great dealer,that you might want to look at. This year when I went to trade my bike in,they were willing to give me $3,000 more than the closest competitor. The old man still owns the place,and they are great hometown dealer,and don't screw around with you when it comes to dealing.

Shenandoah HD hasn't been the same since the new owner took over. He's from Canada and doesn't care about the customer at all,bottom line is the $$. In 2011 I was looking at a sedona orange SG. When I asked about MSRP OTD,and a $500 gift card the salesman looked at me like I just killed his daughter and called me a liar. I just asked if they could match a competitors price,and was told there is "no way in hell" that anyone offered that deal. Needless to say I want somewhere else! They were never known for the best prices or trade in value,but were solid on their prices about middle of the road. The new owner is so money hungry they use to do events about every month. Now the events are very sparse and they even charge you to set foot on the property while an event is going on. I went to have my voltage regulator looked at,and was told to come back at 5 when the event was over,or I could pay the $10 and ride my bike into service. Keep in mind that included listening to local band,and no food unless I had to pay more $$$. Needless to say I haven't been back!

A couple others I've dealt with and had good dealings on bikes,were Thunder Road,Black Wolf,and Cole HD. Keep in mind these were more than 5 years ago,and in Cole HD case it was in early 2000's and they were the only dealer around that could get the Softail Springer I wanted,so that was about 11 years ago.

Last edited by Cowboy Rob; 10-19-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 AM
yeloodnoj64
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Well where to begin? I trade in about every 2 to 3 years,usually anywhere from 30k-50k on the bike when I trade in. So here it goes,first off HD of Lynchburg. For the past five or so years they have been one of the best,trade in $ so so,but the OTD price and throw ins were hard to beat. Then this past year I believe around December they hired a new sales manager,and they are looking to expand their store. So you can guess what happens now,they are looking to make every buck they can. The trade in allowance has dropped dramatically,and the OTD is crap now. Don't believe me,they use to not be able to keep new model touring bikes on the floor,now they were left with a whole floor of 12's in September. So they started to offer the deal that they USE to offer to clear the 12's,but it's funny a year ago they would offer that same price on any current mode.

Roanoke Valley HD,for the past years they were very good on trade in allowance,and decent with OTD prices on all bikes. Now they are one of the best deals out there,a friend got him a 12 SG this past June for 2k off MSRP. The people that were going to Lynchburg now go to Roanoke,and they can't touch their prices.

I know it's a little out of the way,but Waugh HD in Orange is another great dealer,that you might want to look at. This year when I went to trade my bike in,they were willing to give me $3,000 more than the closest competitor. The old man still owns the place,and they are great hometown dealer,and don't screw around with you when it comes to dealing.

Shenandoah HD hasn't been the same since the new owner took over. He's from Canada and doesn't care about the customer at all,bottom line is the $$. In 2011 I was looking at a sedona orange SG. When I asked about MSRP OTD,and a $500 gift card the salesman looked at me like I just killed his daughter and called me a liar. I just asked if they could match a competitors price,and was told there is "no way in hell" that anyone offered that deal. Needless to say I want somewhere else! They were never known for the best prices or trade in value,but were solid on their prices about middle of the road. The new owner is so money hungry they use to do events about every month. Now the events are very sparse and they even charge you to set foot on the property while an event is going on. I went to have my voltage regulator looked at,and was told to come back at 5 when the event was over,or I could pay the $10 and ride my bike into service. Keep in mind that included listening to local band,and no food unless I had to pay more $$$. Needless to say I haven't been back!

A couple others I've dealt with and had good dealings on bikes,were Thunder Road,Black Wolf,and Cole HD. Keep in mind these were more than 5 years ago,and in Cole HD case it was in early 2000's and they were the only dealer around that could get the Softail Springer I wanted,so that was about 11 years ago.
Thanks for info. So part of the negotiation can include a gift card? I'll have to keep that in mind cuz I'll need to get backrest for the wifey.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about the downfall of Shenandoah Harley. It has been quite a few years since I dealt with them. I did not realize they had new management. I have dealt with Waugh Harley quite a bit. While I have no problem buying parts from them and dealing with their service people, I would not buy a bike from them. Their deals are definitely not the best around. And they have a bad habit of taking a brand new bike and loading it up with accessories before they try to sell it, automatically jacking up the price. Very few people that I know who have bought a bike from Waugh (and I know a bunch since I live only 30 minutes from there) got out of their with a new, stock bike.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM
SandmanWV
Advanced

I deal with Wytheville Harley now called Black Bear Harley. They are part of the Cole family Along with Cole harley in Bluefield and Charlies in Huntington. They are nice people. Went all the way to Boston Mass to get my train an didn't charge me any extra. Also gave me an extra 3 years of warranty at no cost to me along with a free 1000 mile and 5000 mile service. Charlie is a really good guy. Larry is the sales guy to talk to Everett and C.J. in the service dept are real good guys and don't try and sell you things you don't need. By the way. I live less than half an hour from HD of West Virginia. I couldn't get any knid of a deal worked out with them or their counter-part at Hico.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live about a mile and a half from Lynchburg HD and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I had a great experience with HD of Charlotte in Matthews NC. I bought my used SG there and you would have thought I bought a brand new CVO, that's how they treat you there. I got a great trade in on my wife's fatboy and a good OTD price.

Shakey

Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Bought my Heritage at Rocky Mount HD in NC. Great folks to deal with and I also have a friend who dealt with Collier HD in NC. He said they were great to deal with as well. Both are right off I-95.