General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assless chaps recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Why leave your *** hanging in the wind? Buy leather overpants, and protect everything from the cold and pavement. Remember, if you are sliding down the road, anything "sticking out" is the first to get road rash.

I have a pair Joe Rockets that have lasted 10 years, but soon need to be replaced. My lady has a pair from Leatherup.com, which are nice, but not near the quality of mine.
When it's cold, I don't wear overpants, I wear leather pants, jeans cut. Why wear 2 layers when 1 does the job?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I haven't faired well wearing leather pants on a cold ride then going into a warm bar/resturant, I think for some chaps are a better answer.

Just curious, Fox lists insulated chaps, at what temp do most think they are needed?

I usually quit riding at first ice or so, which means most my riding is 32 or above.
Wondering if just chaps and jeans wouldn't be enough?

Al

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been contemplating getting chaps for a couple of weeks now. Checked out every online source I could find. I then found a local motorcycle parts/everything you would ever need store and went searching.

I'm a big guy so I started out with 3X. That's the size most online stores would recommend for my measurements. I have 29" thighs. The 3X was way too small. I ended up with 5X and they fit well.

If you buy them online I would make sure they have a liberal return policy with regards to fit.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts
Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenW
I haven't faired well wearing leather pants on a cold ride then going into a warm bar/resturant, I think for some chaps are a better answer.

Just curious, Fox lists insulated chaps, at what temp do most think they are needed?

I usually quit riding at first ice or so, which means most my riding is 32 or above.
Wondering if just chaps and jeans wouldn't be enough?

Al
I agree that leather pants are not for everyone.

Another option is to wear Under Armor or N.I.K.E Dri-Fit leggins under your jeans. They're like a second skin and they're extremely warm. I have a pair of UA leggins that I wear under my ski suit and I'm never cold on the slopes.

Anytime the temp is 45 and lower, I need extra protection on the bike despite the fairing and lowers. Head protection is important too, by the way.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 10-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
29of1050
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with those that have recommended Fox Creek Leather Overpants:

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/251-m...ther-overpants

Living in Northern MI, I definitely needed something to extend my riding season and I love these. I have ridden down into the 30's and never gotten cold. Much better than chaps.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,338 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Assless chaps only look good on naked hot chicks

Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
MontyD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunnerthedog
I know they're just chaps. But find great joy in acting immature at my age.

Looking at recommendations for some quality chaps at a decent price. I'm not against forkin out money for something that's going to last. But don't want to over pay for crap.
My recommendation is to NOT WEAR them!! Period! ***-less anything on a bike is totally unacceptable.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
When it's cold, I don't wear overpants, I wear leather pants, jeans cut. Why wear 2 layers when 1 does the job?
In Minnesota, especially this time of year, we can have 30 degree weather at 8 am, and 80 degrees at 3 pm. That's why we layer.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assless chaps recommendations

Why are you going to a costume party?

j/k that was always m,y thought on chaps, but I was actually thinking of looking for some to take a winter ride this Feb, I just couldn't resist.

Lump

Quick Reply: Assless chaps recommendations