General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customs aren't Harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Customs aren't Harleys?

Yeah I think i just depends. I believe the engineering that goes in to Harley is second to none when it come to the motorcycle world. However some of the custom builders attempt to use the highest quality parts that can be bought, not making it the best bike. With all of that being said I have 4 friends that have Big Dog bikes and all 4 of them had issues with their bikes and 3 of them had issues so large that it makes the problems discussed on this forum seem trivial, and they all spent in the high $30Ks to mid $40Ks for their rides.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: shovel78

Jf you want a real bike get a Shovelhead
LOL, and the E78 models were the best!
Right on!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17396/1CC50C54EEFA49299C10449AE5DDD839.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

I will stick with harley. dealers in every major city , parts availability, name recognition , been around for 100 plus years, the list could go on and on [sm=signs007.gif] [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

One thing about this discussionis that the word custom means different things to different people. I don't look atBig Dog, American Ironhorse, or even the production bikes built by OCC and Jesse James as customs. A custom is a one-off bike built by an individual or a couple people.
[sm=exactly.gif]There are a lot of custom builders think just cause they can build themselves a custom and keep it running, it's a little different when you sell one, especially a high dollar custom to a guy that can't check his oil in his hugh SUV.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

I must start with I have never owned a high dollar custum, But I like what Thunder Mountain custum cycles are doing in this Month's wide open Magizine. Thay start with a Harley and add custum paint wide tire kit's rake the front a little it is one awsome looking street glide. It ends up being 90% Harley and seviced all over the place.They change the motor as well to 103" or 120" your choice for a price I'm sure. They sell them at Gail's Harley in the KC are at www.feelthepower.com that is the only custom I would look hard at It's a great looking bike. Tom

Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Custom07RKC

Yeah I think i just depends. I believe the engineering that goes in to Harley is second to none when it come to the motorcycle world.
Harleys are hardly the best engineered bikes out there, not even close.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
dmlong
Tourer

I've got an HD and a Big Dog and have had no quality issues with either bike. The BD has better brakes,much more power and better fit and finish than the HD.

That being said,if I had to sell one of them it would be theBig Dogin a heartbeat,I love my bagger!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley engineering has a very tough job to do, too radical of a change and they risk loosing repeat business. I've alway thought "I'd still rather have a Harley. It's maybe customized but a Harley.
ORIGINAL: Fred00

ORIGINAL: Custom07RKC

Yeah I think i just depends. I believe the engineering that goes in to Harley is second to none when it come to the motorcycle world.
Harleys are hardly the best engineered bikes out there, not even close.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

If you buy quality components.....AND you build with integrity...you wont have issues with a custom. Any machine is only as good as its builder. Personnally, I love SS parts....been using them since 73', and it appears that there are several other manufactureres that are offering quality stuff out there as well. A machine is only as good as YOU make it.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: rizzo

At what pointdoes a production Harley become a custom ?
Reckon that's a matter of opinion, and everyone has one. Mine is that if came from the MoCo, then no amount of bolt-on stuff makes it a custom. And buying a pile-of-parts, ala kit bike, ain't a custom, either. Buying those parts and then whaling on them, scratch-making the bits and pieces needed to tie it all together, is the bottom rung of the custom ladder.

So, can a production model become a custom? Nope, but it can be personalized (bolt-on stuff), and even customized (scratch-built stuff), but it'd have to undergo enough radical surgery to beno longer able to be titled as an HD to bea custom.

Quick Reply: Customs aren't Harleys?