General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Deaths Rise Sharply

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Beefcake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Deaths Rise Sharply

Taken from msnbc.com. Ride safe folks and always be vigilant. Complacency kills!

Motorcycle fatalities nationwide have surged to their highest levels since 1987, even as overall highway deaths continue to decline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last year, 4,008 motorcycle riders were killed in highway accidents, up 7.9% from 2003 and 89% higher than in 1997, according to a new National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. Meanwhile, passenger car deaths dropped 3.2% to 19,091 last year.

The increase in motorcycle deaths has spurred Congress to add $3 million to a federal transportation bill for a study on motorcycle crashes. President Bush is set to sign the measure this week.

"What we need now are answers, not theories," said Tom Lindsay, spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association.

Possible causes: a sharp rise in motorcycle ownership, rollback of mandatory helmet laws and an increase in inexperienced bikers riding powerful machines.

Americans bought an estimated 734,000 new on-highway motorcycles last year, up from 230,000 in 1995, said Tim Buche, president of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

But more motorcycles don't account for the entire increase. The fatality rate is also on the rise.

In 2003, the most recent year for which statistics are available for motorcycles, the fatality rate was 38.38 per 100 million miles traveled. In 2002, that figure was 34.23.

By contrast, the fatality rate for all highway drivers has improved for decades and in 2004 was 1.46 per 100 million miles traveled.

Rae Tyson, spokesman for the highway administration, said blame may lie partly with states that have scaled back helmet laws. A study released by the agency Monday showed an 81% rise in motorcycle deaths in Florida in a three-year period after the state repealed its law in 2000.

Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers. Jeff Rabe, lobbyist for the Modified Motorcycle Association of California, said more "middle-aged executives" are riding powerful machines without training. "There's a huge group of people ages 35 to 50 who have purchased motorcycles," Rabe said. "But they're still beginning riders."

Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Deaths Rise Sharply

"Motorcycle groups opposed to helmet laws point to the changing face of bikers. Jeff Rabe, lobbyist for the Modified Motorcycle Association of California, said more "middle-aged executives" are riding powerful machines without training. "There's a huge group of people ages 35 to 50 who have purchased motorcycles," Rabe said. "But they're still beginning riders."

I can believe this statement.. I was once a Dummy who bought a hog with NO experience. I learned really quick. I know respect for this bike now.

However, I've seen the rolex's in their midlife crisis ride out on a bike they don't know how to ride. I watched a salesman ridicule him when he dumped his brand spanking new dresser in the lot next door. I cussed the salesman, went to help the old guy and BEGGED him to let someone else help him home with it and learn to ride it first. He brushed it off and evaluated his new scratched engine guard.. Ah, he's in his late 50's and knows everything.. He's a successful business man.. He's had a profitable business and knows it all... "Ah, I'll learn this thing".

Ok I tried.. Hope he's still alive. Had a nice Yachtmaster like mine.

I've seen this happen well more than once hanging out on a given weekday at the dealer.

Now, I say it's a free country, and should stay free.. So in that grain, it's the responsibility of the rider to learn and to make a decision about a proper helmet or not. But, if that guy that doesn't know how to ride pulls out infront of my wife and child in their "cage" and causes an accident.. oh boy! I'll put my hopes on the minivan in the van vs bike contest. It's all about responsibility.. Bholes are on two wheels and four.. The little old lady pulling out and cutting you off.. I've had that happen too. It's not nice to want to throttle some old woman who shouldn't be driving anymore.

I can imagine this is a hot topic among bikers.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:39 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to see the percent of deaths from sportbikes compared to cruisers, other than deaths caused by cars. Everytime there is a fatal bike accident (bikers fault) around here, it is because someone on a sport bike flew off the road going way to fast. Two idiots flew by me the other day. I caught up to them at a red light and yelled that they are the reason my insurance is getting high. They took off, passing cars in the breakdown lane. Riding like that, it's only a matter of time.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its bound to, everyone and their swinging dong are riden new Harleys! ROTFFLMAO[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would like to see ABATE's response to this. In Pennsylvania there was no significant increase in motorcycle fatalities after the helmet optional law went into effect.

There is way too much politics/money in this debate to believe this at face value. I bet after a true statistical analysis was completed, you would see this has little to do with helmet laws.

It would also be nice to see the percentage of motorcycle fatals that were not the fault of the motorcycle operator, but were caused by the actions of other vehicle operators.

It's just too easy to blame the motorcyclists - after all, we are the minority here and very convenient scapegoats.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

crotch rockets and polititans.......wher will it end!!

Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 AM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can probably answer a few of the questions asked. First off the stats are accurate the group getting wracked up/killed are age 45+... The numbers comparing kids on cafe bikes verses middle age riders on cruiser/tour bikes is not looking good for us older folks on the cruiser/tour bikes. Last I saw had the Cruiser/tour folks at a 4 to 1 ratio. It always amazes me when I hear folks my age bashing the younger crowd on crotch rockets, or trying to imply they must be getting killed more. You can look it up for yourself but in the past 5 years its the over 45 crowd.
Latest stats I've seen on riders killed by motorist had the motorist violating the cyclists right of way in 82% of those accidents. 54% of cyclist fatalities had alcohol involved on the riders part. Of the bike only type accidents (drifting off the road, etc) alcohol is involved 48%, and again the over 45 crowd make up 77%.

Suggested causes for the rise in cycle fatalities:
Large increase in cycle sales
inexperience/lack of formal training
right of way violations
drinking & riding
large numbers of FORMER riders returning to the sport without training

JBBOOKS, your correct ABATE of PA has been folllowing the information process closely as has MRF. The stats do not indicate that helmet use or lack of, has contributed in any way. ABATES position is that awareness, education, are the keys to decreasing motorcycle fatalities. The efforts to educate are obviously panning out for PA because we actually have seen a decrease in overall accidents and fatalities since the helmet repeal. In fact I think the published result for the first 30 months indicated we are below the 1984 level of accidents, with a 400% increase in registered bikes in the state.

Hope this helps answer some questions........ T

Old 08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From CNN: Link

Title: Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

Down the page a bit:

Even though the state requires helmet use by riders under age 21, fatalities among that group nearly tripled in the three years after the repeal; 45 percent of those killed were not wearing helmets.
I agree with the AMA - Let's study this more carefully and figure out what's really wrong.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM
MOking
Tourer

Every time a private pilot crashes, his creditials are publicized. It is widely known that the first 100 hrs of flight time is statistically the most dangerous to new pilots.

It would be interesting to see the experience stats of those riders involved in all crashes, not just fatal crashes.

I would also love to know the stats of % of riders on cruisers that drink and ride vs. the % of sport bike riders riders that drink and ride.

Kids on sport bikes fly around corners and act like idiots. Think of how many poker runs involve alchohol and bars. Look at where cruisers typically ride to and hang out at? I don't know of many that meet at a state park etc... It's always bars.

I'm guilty too, but sometimes the culture of a group needs to change.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM
MOking
Tourer

How many of those killed in Florida were tourists that rented a bike without having any training or rented a bike much larger than what they are comfortable with?