Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on selling original parts off my 2012 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on selling original parts off my 2012 Road King

So I got my first NEW Harley earlier this year (2012 RK) and love her to death. I ended up getting SE performance touring mufflers and harley beach bars and when the bike was delivered I received the original mufflers and original bars. I'm sure I could get some coin from them but was wondering if it would be wise to hold onto them in case I end up keeping her for the next 30 years. The last bike I purchased in 1992 was a 1973 Triumph Bonneville 750 and I still have that finicky byatch. Any thoughts?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The price I could get for my take-offs was never enough to outweigh the convenience of hanging onto them. If you've got a good place to store the stuff, I'd suggest packing it up good, and keeping all of it...in case you want to sell the bike (with the stock parts on it)--you never know, need to go for an 'inspection' that requires 'stock' parts, etc.

Alan

Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
The price I could get for my take-offs was never enough to outweigh the convenience of hanging onto them. If you've got a good place to store the stuff, I'd suggest packing it up good, and keeping all of it...in case you want to sell the bike (with the stock parts on it)--you never know, need to go for an 'inspection' that requires 'stock' parts, etc.

Alan
Thanks for the input. I was worried about decreasing the value of the bike by adding non Harley aftermarket parts and that why I went with the optional Harley parts. Not too worried about an inspection because the mufflers are 50 state street (decibel) legal according to the Harley parts catalog.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I kept the factory mufflers and air intake system off my Fatboy. I hate to think about it, but someday the Govt may put out a law for sound and emissions. If that happens, I still have my OEM stuff.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I try to keep every part that I take off of a bike unless I know for sure that I'l never need it.

You never know, someday someone may buy your bike and want to return it to it's stock condition and it's much easier to warp them up and put them away somewhere now than it is to locate a replacement years down the road.

Years ago my cousin bought my b-i-l's '81 Lowrider and wanted the stock "ham can" a/c which had been tossed in the garbage.

Fotrunately, after a few swap meets, I finally found an original for the bike but he had to make a couple of mounting brackets for it.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a ton of take off parts that i've collected over the last ten years. The thing is you can't get **** for the stock parts but you can't just throw them in the trash. My guess is they will continue to collect until i die and then someone will figure out what to do with them.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser

Good thoughts. I'll most likely keep them and if I ever get rid of her it can't hurt the sale.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Keep the stock parts until your warranty runs out. If you have an issue your dealer will not warranty the work. I dont care who you are they will not fix your bike without the stockparts. You can slap that Magnuson Moss **** in their face and they will still will refuse service. You will just create conflict with the dealer and they will mes up your bike.

Once your warranty is over then, just **** can them. Dont ask me why, dealers will claim any non stock part and refuse warranty work.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 10-12-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tazaroo
Good thoughts. I'll most likely keep them and if I ever get rid of her it can't hurt the sale.
Bingo!

You mod may look killer to you, but the buyer may like something else.
Also if you mods start to look stale after awhile, you can always go back to stock.

Al

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
I kept the factory mufflers and air intake system off my Fatboy. I hate to think about it, but someday the Govt may put out a law for sound and emissions. If that happens, I still have my OEM stuff.

That law went onto effect about 1983 or so....

Quick Reply: Thoughts on selling original parts off my 2012 Road King