General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
SHIVEhd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.

So, I'm in the market for a new helmet. I purchased a helmet a while back while at a bike rally that I loved. Being as "observant" as I am...I saw the DOT Approved tag, liked the way it fit, and after that didn't think much of it. Well, when I went typed in "Advanced Carbon Composite" online yesterday to find a new helmet to match the one I have, I was in for a surprise. The guy was given a cease and desist order by the NHTSA because his helmets don't comply (Evidently I'm the last to find this out ) with NHTSA standards

Anyway, question is...Since these helmets are not longer legal to make...what are y'all's thoughts on best helmets that are DOT approved but don't weight 200 lbs and have 9 inches of padding in them? And are they any helmets out there that aren't all the way up to DOT approval but are substantially safer than nothing?

Sorry if this is a recurring topic, I didn't see anything like this in my search. Also, I'm sure this is a polar topic....soooooo

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,052 Likes on 12,178 Posts

I'm sure there's a ton of threads like this but always room for one more.

I have 2 varieties of half helmets - Zox Retro for warm weather and Bell Shorty for cooler temps. The Zox is much narrower than the Bell and looks better - no mushroom head. It is DOT rated but still a cheap helmet. It is a minimal effort against crash injuries, but certainly better than no helmet by far. The Bell Shorty is one step up. Heavier. More mushroom. It has zip in ear flaps which reduces the mushroom effect and adds protection against the elements. I'm guessing it's better for crash protection.

Both can be had for dirt cheap on Ebay.

edit - note that the matte finish on the Bell helmet went bad on mine. I think the hot desert sun melted it and made it sticky. Looks like hell now.

Last edited by nevada72; 10-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I rock a Daytona half helmet and love it. It's one of the smallest I have found that is DOT. Before that I ran a Bell Drifter and never really liked it. It is way heavier and caught alot of wind. Not sure if Daytona just uses more shell sizes to keep them less bulky or what but it is significantly smaller than other 1/2 helmets I have seen.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
CO Hooligan
Advanced

I just got my Outlaw Ultra-slim helmet from leatherup.com. By far the lightest and smallest DOT I have ever seen. There is an entire thread about this helmet on this site complete with pics. I got the matte black fiberglass version for $39.99. Love it!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Daytona 3/4 and a Fulmer 1/2 (love them both). These are the smallest DOTs I've found.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
SHIVEhd
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CO Hooligan
I just got my Outlaw Ultra-slim helmet from leatherup.com. By far the lightest and smallest DOT I have ever seen. There is an entire thread about this helmet on this site complete with pics. I got the matte black fiberglass version for $39.99. Love it!
After some searching I found this thread. I'm pretty sure it's the one you are talking about...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...le-helmet.html

This guy did a great job on describing the helmet.

I ordered the "ultra slim". I would be interested in hearing the difference between it and the "ultra low profile" if anyone knows.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIVEhd
So, I'm in the market for a new helmet. I purchased a helmet a while back while at a bike rally that I loved. Being as "observant" as I am...I saw the DOT Approved tag, liked the way it fit, and after that didn't think much of it. Well, when I went typed in "Advanced Carbon Composite" online yesterday to find a new helmet to match the one I have, I was in for a surprise. The guy was given a cease and desist order by the NHTSA because his helmets don't comply (Evidently I'm the last to find this out ) with NHTSA standards

Anyway, question is...Since these helmets are not longer legal to make...what are y'all's thoughts on best helmets that are DOT approved but don't weight 200 lbs and have 9 inches of padding in them? And are they any helmets out there that aren't all the way up to DOT approval but are substantially safer than nothing?

Sorry if this is a recurring topic, I didn't see anything like this in my search. Also, I'm sure this is a polar topic....soooooo
Just so you know, ACC is still in business and going strong. They just changed the name is all. If you dig into the whole Cease and Desist thing you will find they they got screwed by the government by changing the rules in the middle if the game by changing testing facilities. The new facility used different #'s for certification that the previous one did. The helmets passed fine to begin with.

By the way,they will rebuild your old one if you send it to them. Here is a link, http://www.headtriphelmets.com/

Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are going novelty, check out scull crush. Unsurpassed Made in USA quality and protection that will rival DOT. But they are pricey.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
SHIVEhd
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Just so you know, ACC is still in business and going strong. They just changed the name is all. If you dig into the whole Cease and Desist thing you will find they they got screwed by the government by changing the rules in the middle if the game by changing testing facilities. The new facility used different #'s for certification that the previous one did. The helmets passed fine to begin with.

By the way,they will rebuild your old one if you send it to them. Here is a link, http://www.headtriphelmets.com/
That's good to hear! It seemed by the way it was written the guy was being screwed. Seemed as if he was just doing what his customers wanted (smaller & lighter helmets) and the NHTSA was playing a bit dirty. It's no fun when you get on the governments radar as it seems this guy did and they hit you with one thing after another.... Glad to see he figured out a way to keep on goin!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave

You need to look at the website you referenced. they sell a novelty helmet for 125.00. Not DOT approved.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.