General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Daytona Skull Crusher helmet. It was the smallest DOT at the time. It still gave that mushroom head look.

I now have an Outlaw Carbon Fiber. It is 3/4" smaller than the Daytona. That 3/4" really makes a difference. The Dayton weighs 1lb 5.8oz it is 1.1oz lighter than the Outlaw. I weighed them on a USPS scale.

The Daytona sits on top of my head. The thicker padding causes this.

With the Outlaw, my head fits deep into the helmet. It only has padding around the inner edge of the helmet. No padding on top. It is much more comfortable.

They are DOT certified. Safety, who knows. I live in a no helmet state, but I do wear one when it gets cold. I might wear a helmet more now that I have one that doesn't have that mushroom look.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM
JonHollywoodFL
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Hooligan
I just got my Outlaw Ultra-slim helmet from leatherup.com. By far the lightest and smallest DOT I have ever seen. There is an entire thread about this helmet on this site complete with pics. I got the matte black fiberglass version for $39.99. Love it!
I just got the matte black carbon fiber version of the Outlaw Ultra-Slim from leatherup.com and it's the lightest, most comfortable helmet I've ever worn... however... wearing prescription glasses... I had to go out and order a pair of goggles that I'm going to get some prescription/transition lenses put in... can't see for sh*t once I get over 35mph due to the wind and whatnot. This helmet is perpetually out of stock, but, if you put in a request to be notified when they have more in, it's usually pretty fast. I got the notification the same day and went right to the site to place my order before it went out of stock again. If I recall, it was around $70 and worth every penny and then some.

My prior helmet was a HD Half helmet with a pull down visor that doesn't require me to wear goggles. The HD is also a great helmet, but it's heavier and it gets pretty toasty wearing it down here in SoFL where it's like a sauna most of the year: )

Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
However, I've discovered that half helmets suck, compared to a 3/4, like I have on in these pics. It covers my ears and keeps the wind out on the highway - worth it for that purpose alone. Plus, I've started to think half helmets look pretty dorky compared to the 3/4.
I'm with you on that. Hate the 'pecker head' look of the DOT half helms and the 3/4 looks nicely retro (as well as keeping you from needing ear plugs so much)

Here's a sweet Bell shield I just picked up too:

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,264 Posts

My Outlaw Ultra fits pretty snug and is not near as comfortable as my other halfs. Looks good though. Worse thing is anything above 60mph it wants to lift off my head. Very aggravating.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM
AkBobber707
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the outlaw low profile helmets...there are leather up discount codes available too. Just do a google search

Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 headtrip extended half helmets