General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

Just got the Outlaw Ultra slim (i think haha) was the $69.00 one.. Id be curious to see if there was another helmet out there that was smaller than this one AND is still DOT

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
If you are going novelty, check out scull crush. Unsurpassed Made in USA quality and protection that will rival DOT. But they are pricey.
Scull Crush are Head trips(aka-ACC) sold by a different distributor.

Originally Posted by robbie52
You need to look at the website you referenced. they sell a novelty helmet for 125.00. Not DOT approved.
There is a long story about that that is to long to get into with you here if you are not aware of the circumstances. The OP is aware of the circumstances and My link makes perfect sense to him. You can do a search about Advanced Carbon Composite (ACC) DOT approved helmets for more information if you would like. Make sure you look past all of the hype and get to the truth about what really happened to ACC. These helmets do not sport a DOT sticker but they are superior to many that do.

Last edited by Just Dave; 10-11-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Eagle Custom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a Outlaw Ultra low profile in carbon fiber from leatherup.com it is the smallest DOT helmet I found. The chin straps take a little braking in but with a quick release buckel and some time the helmet is great light wight and no mushroom and DOT markings for the LEO's

Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
TacoMaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by CO Hooligan
I just got my Outlaw Ultra-slim helmet from leatherup.com. By far the lightest and smallest DOT I have ever seen. There is an entire thread about this helmet on this site complete with pics. I got the matte black fiberglass version for $39.99. Love it!

This. The outlaw is the only DOT helmet I can tolerate. Had the Bell drifter it was terrible, I would rather die in an accident then have to wear it.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

[QUOTE=Just Dave;10429919]Scull Crush are Head trips(akk-ACC) sold by a different distributor.

Correct, skull crush implies they make the helmets, however headtrip is the manufacturer.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,745 Likes on 6,480 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm sure there's a ton of threads like this but always room for one more.
Very well done amigo...

Never understood why guys took the time to comment on a thread that obviously irritated them, telling someone to do "a search". Guess the tools don't realize not everyone is net savvy, and some probably don't even know what a search is.

Sorry for the ramble, and btw, loved the pics of your trip out west...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Personally I like my DOT approved skid lid.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Phantom6722
Tourer

Think of it this way if the head that will reside in the helmet is empty and worthless buy cheap, however, if the head is full and priceless buy expensive. As well the greater the coverage of the head the greater protection offer. Always buy the best helmet you can afford giving the maximum protection for your head and neck and there are some reasonable priced good helmets out there.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIVEhd
Anyway, question is...Since these helmets are not longer legal to make...what are y'all's thoughts on best helmets that are DOT approved but don't weight 200 lbs and have 9 inches of padding in them? And are they any helmets out there that aren't all the way up to DOT approval but are substantially safer than nothing?

Sorry if this is a recurring topic, I didn't see anything like this in my search. Also, I'm sure this is a polar topic....soooooo
Your thread title says "DOT or novelty...doesn't matter."

The ACC helmet didn't get any less safe when they pulled the DOT certification. I still wear one sometimes. Might wear it today, depending on the temperature outside.

However, I've discovered that half helmets suck, compared to a 3/4, like I have on in these pics. It covers my ears and keeps the wind out on the highway - worth it for that purpose alone. Plus, I've started to think half helmets look pretty dorky compared to the 3/4.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Hooligan
I just got my Outlaw Ultra-slim helmet from leatherup.com. By far the lightest and smallest DOT I have ever seen. There is an entire thread about this helmet on this site complete with pics. I got the matte black fiberglass version for $39.99. Love it!
I second that!

I liked it so much I bought two!
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...et/262770.html

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 10-11-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on best half helmet out there? DOT or novelty...doesn't matter.