General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool kit leather repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tool kit leather repair?

my 99 fxdx tool kit next to the ignition is pretty worn, any way of repairing it?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,750 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Sewing awl w/wax thread. Leather rivets.
try here:http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...home/home.aspx

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I work with leather every day, most leather items can be refurbed or repaired. Can tell you more if you post a pic or 3.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
I work with leather every day, most leather items can be refurbed or repaired. Can tell you more if you post a pic or 3.
Took a while to get some picts, just had a problem with the exhaust so that took priority.

but here you go!

Attached Thumbnails Tool kit leather repair?-imag0843.jpg   Tool kit leather repair?-imag0844.jpg   Tool kit leather repair?-imag0845.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

nothing there that cant be fixed with a bit of TLC from what I can see in the pics

Stitching looks to be intact, you are mostly dealing with worn surfaces and scratches. Not much you can do about removing the scratches, but they will add character anyhow

If you wish to do it yourself, easiest is to head to your nearest Tandy shop and get a small bottle of their Eco Flow Professional Water Stain dye, a small bottle of Dye prep, and a leather finishing wax. Maybe take the bag with you and let the store assistant help to pick the correct "black"

1. When you get home, take the bag off the bike, grab some acetone and VERY sparingly (by VERY I mean use a miniscule amount of acetone) clean off the surface of the tool bag using some cotton waste or similar. You can use alcohol as well. You will see some of the old dye come off, but dont panic as you'll be re-dying anyway. Do not use a leather cleaner as you'll put on a wax coat as you clean and the dye wont take.

2. Leave the bag to sit for about a half hour to ensure all residual acetone/alcohol evaporates.

3. apply the dye prep as per the instructions on the bottle.

4. using a soft damp sponge, lightly apply the waterstain in small amounts in a circular motion to the bag. The scuffed areas will need more dye as the dye migrates into the leather. Keep applying until you are satisfied the scuffed areas are uniform with the rest. Start at the back if you wanna test your application on a area that cant be seen. Once you are happy you have applied it evenly all over and the color looks consistent, leave the bag to dry overnight. Tandy will tell you its dry in an hour or 2, but I have found invariably that a 24 hour dry out results in a much better job.

5. Using a Wool pad, buff the bag until it glosses up to a nice finish. Using a wool disc on a power tool is ok if you want to speed things up.

6. Apply the wax finish, leave it dry and rebuff. Your bag should look real nice after.

For the strap, you can either just re dye and wax the strap as mentioned above, or replace it. Personally, I would just re-dye it. It looks to be still serviceable and the wear adds to the bags character.

If you wish to polish up the buckles, take care not to get the metal polish on your newly re finished bag as the metal polish wont play nice with the wax and dye and leave a flat matt spot where it's gotten onto the leather.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 AM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
nothing there that cant be fixed with a bit of TLC from what I can see in the pics

Stitching looks to be intact, you are mostly dealing with worn surfaces and scratches. Not much you can do about removing the scratches, but they will add character anyhow

If you wish to do it yourself, easiest is to head to your nearest Tandy shop and get a small bottle of their Eco Flow Professional Water Stain dye, a small bottle of Dye prep, and a leather finishing wax. Maybe take the bag with you and let the store assistant help to pick the correct "black"

1. When you get home, take the bag off the bike, grab some acetone and VERY sparingly (by VERY I mean use a miniscule amount of acetone) clean off the surface of the tool bag using some cotton waste or similar. You can use alcohol as well. You will see some of the old dye come off, but dont panic as you'll be re-dying anyway. Do not use a leather cleaner as you'll put on a wax coat as you clean and the dye wont take.

2. Leave the bag to sit for about a half hour to ensure all residual acetone/alcohol evaporates.

3. apply the dye prep as per the instructions on the bottle.

4. using a soft damp sponge, lightly apply the waterstain in small amounts in a circular motion to the bag. The scuffed areas will need more dye as the dye migrates into the leather. Keep applying until you are satisfied the scuffed areas are uniform with the rest. Start at the back if you wanna test your application on a area that cant be seen. Once you are happy you have applied it evenly all over and the color looks consistent, leave the bag to dry overnight. Tandy will tell you its dry in an hour or 2, but I have found invariably that a 24 hour dry out results in a much better job.

5. Using a Wool pad, buff the bag until it glosses up to a nice finish. Using a wool disc on a power tool is ok if you want to speed things up.

6. Apply the wax finish, leave it dry and rebuff. Your bag should look real nice after.

For the strap, you can either just re dye and wax the strap as mentioned above, or replace it. Personally, I would just re-dye it. It looks to be still serviceable and the wear adds to the bags character.

If you wish to polish up the buckles, take care not to get the metal polish on your newly re finished bag as the metal polish wont play nice with the wax and dye and leave a flat matt spot where it's gotten onto the leather.

Hope this helps.
lots of helpful info here. I'll take this project on after I get my exhaust mount fixed. I'll also post picts so you can judge my work