General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Knee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

Just curious if anyone has Multiple Sclerosis or has a family member or friend with it ? I have it and ride for today because tomorrow I might not be able . Seems since I was diagnosed more and more people have MS . Please share your stories . This is the first time I have ever talked about my disease outside my family since I was diagnosed 11 years ago . I was told back then to join a support group but I chose not to and to keep it inside. I now feel like sharing my stories and maybe listening to someone else. I am into bikes so at this time I would rather talk about it here and not on an MS forum where I might read something I dont want to read .

Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Towpro
Banned
Default RE: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

I don't have it or anyone in my family has MS.

Just wanna wish ya many, many more years of riding, keep the faith bro.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:33 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Knee

Just curious if anyone has Multiple Sclerosis or has a family member or friend with it ? I have it and ride for today because tomorrow I might not be able . Seems since I was diagnosed more and more people have MS . Please share your stories . This is the first time I have ever talked about my disease outside my family since I was diagnosed 11 years ago . I was told back then to join a support group but I chose not to and to keep it inside. I now feel like sharing my stories and maybe listening to someone else. I am into bikes so at this time I would rather talk about it here and not on an MS forum where I might read something I dont want to read .
What a great, open, and honest post. Takes guts to disclose such information in the manner in which you did. Way to go, guy! I don't have MS. Nor do I know anyone who does (at least, not to my knowledge). But I think what you've done (stepping forth) is a brave thing. Something others in your similar situation can be proud of and take heed. Enjoy yourself and ride when and wherever you can. Because none of us knows when it just might be our last one.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 AM
dastark
Road Master

This will be long winded but it's a special story for me. I'm 45. When I was 21 a bud and I went to a dance bar with the usual intentions. Last dance, and I told Bernie, Im 'gonna meet someone tonight! As I look across the hall I spot a beautiful girl. As I approach and ask her to dance, she's apprehensive. At the pressure of her gal pals she agrees and reaches under the table and produces a pair of arm brace crutches. I was initially a little embarrassed. I was naive. Leigh rocked it! The d.j. then graced us with a slow song. Nice. We ended up going home together that night and talked all night long. Dated for some time. She explained to me that her docs. told her that she'd eventually end up progressively getting worse. She was stubborn. We ended up splitting due to my personal problems. Last year, I was back in town visiting friends, and I'll be darned if I didnt see Leigh. Stronger than ever, walking down the street with crutches. I didn't stop. It was a shitty breakup on my part. Not due to her disability, but my stupidity. My point is that she was an incredibly strong willed person who wouldn't give up. I wish you the same.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:59 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

In 1985, an Eye doctor sent me to an Ophthalmologist after I complained about constant watery feeling and blurred vision. Threepossibilities were offer and by the end of the day, the only thing that was certainwas that I had a form of Optic Neuritis with a hemorraging optic nerve.A case IdiopathicPapilitis, nerve damage i think, could be caused by MS, unknown viral attack, or something that would never be ascertained till end of Life. My vision has worsened till I have very little, but just enough peripheral vision, and the occasional odd symptom, raining on my neck,etc. I worried how I could work, what my family was going to do and whether I was going just blind fast. Ten years later, I made the same choice, Knee. Life is too short.I did not decide to ride again right then after having sold my CB550 commuter for lot's of reason in 83. Kids, Mom didn't want to ride, money, the same stuffsome of usgo thru in mid 30's.
I had come to a place where I felt if this was it, then so be it. We are dealt a hand, and I wasn't folding.

Cristmas timeof 1999, an old friend re enters my life by knocking at the door dressed in all leather. 20 years, gray hair, HD bandana, chaps, jacket, etal... 'May I help you, Joe for Chri--'s sake. We had stopped talking to each other in 1981 over stupid issues of marriage and divorce. Too many drinks, too much advice. I am still married to the same women, the mother of our two grown children and Joe is going to court next month after to many attempts at reconcilliation.

He said, 'Get back on your bike, you taught me to ride at 16, and the counselor said to me, do something for yourself'.
My Bride rides, Joe rides, and at times we all ride together. My Bride and I ride together all the time.

Too much info, Knee, I am long in the tooth and in the Wind. Prevail, be your harshest Judge. You will know when to stop. We all will stop on day. Let that be your choice for the best reason, your sense of self worth.

Ride safe, ride as long as you are able, and every day, every dang day, Kiss the ones you love and at least way to everyone else.

Price

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/3671005D967543C9A0F6F1C2525A394D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Knee
Advanced

Thats how it started with me also. I was watching the Tyson fight and my right eye was sore. I thought maybe I bumped it and didnt think much about it. I went to bed and woke the next morning blind in the right eye . I was told optic neuritis also. Then I was told to see a neurologist. When I went to him he told me the facts and that I had MS . My vision cames back over months and now I can see fine . But its alway in my mind . THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT

Old 01-27-2007, 02:20 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Knee

Thats how it started with me also. I was watching the Tyson fight and my right eye was sore. I thought maybe I bumped it and didnt think much about it. I went to bed and woke the next morning blind in the right eye . I was told opic neuritis also. Then I was told to see a neurologist. When I went to him he told me the facts and that I had MS . My vision cames back over months and now I can see fine . But its alway in my mind . THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT
I am pretty much blind in my left eye now. I really look (no pun intended) at things differently now. I don't know if I will loose more again. I woke up on Father's day in 1996 (no crap) with no vision in my left eye. Some, very little has come back. Mine is Chronic and Progressive. May be it is MS and maybe not. I was offered a trial thru John's Hopkin's with interferon. It won't cure it, just lessen the chances. At that time my son was on his way to Eagle Scout, and I was an the Assistant Scout Master for Venture. I realized I had a great deal to do with my disease. I could let it take over or not fight, but ignore it as much as possible.Stress is bad and fear is worse. I have two lumbar punctures, with no amino acids, two prednosolone drips, and now i just drink too much coffee.

Since I restarted riding in 03, I have gone to Chattanooga in 05 and except for a rearend crash my wife's trike got we would have been in Billings in 06 to meet up with some old farts we met in Chattanooga. Did make a 1900 mile rountrip in a week tho when we got her's back. Thru Nashville to Kentucky near the Confluence at Cairo and back home to NOR VA. That's what we had left on her vacation time and we took it.My Ophtho knows, and is readty to pull me off when there is not enough vision left, but I hope I will know first.
Ride like you mean it. Look out for yourself and everyone around you. Best.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Knee
Advanced

I am on a drug called Copaxone . It is an injection once a day for the rest of my life . I swear that by using this med and eating healthy This is the reason I am doing so well . I do have some symtoms now and then but nothing like it could be . You should try the Copaxone . You have nothing to lose. It might help and if not it cant hurt . It is the safest MS drug out there . I hope you get your sight back . As you said stress and fear will bring on everything you dont want. This is one reason I never talked about my MS. I try to pretend that I have nothing wrong with me and just get on with life . But every morning when the needle enters my skin I get the slap in the face telling me I have MS. Thanks again for the support . It really feels good to be able to finally talk about it .

Old 01-27-2007, 03:46 AM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's great that you bring this up..I have a relative diagnosed with MS also 10 years ago. So how are you coping with your MS? Are you still able to work?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 AM
vabubba
Tourer

A good friend of mine and his wife both have old panheads. His is a '61 and hers a '59. I started working where they were working. Next thing you know, we are riding together every now and then. He just told me a couple weeks ago that his wife has MS. I never knew it. I was shocked. This gal does all her own wrenchin and such. Heck she restored the bike herself with her old mans guidance. She kicks that sucker over and hops on it like nobodys business.I have no clue what meds shes on but whatever it is, it must be working. She's also one of the top mechanical engineers at the plant where I work.I wish you all the best guys and hope and pray that you ride many many more miles!!!! Bubba

Quick Reply: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?