General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

ORIGINAL: Knee

Thanks again to everyone for the support . I am glad I started this thread so we can all share a little about life and how short it truly is . My uncle had ALS so I feel for you and your sister . Also everyone else that has posted about something that is or is not MS I am glad you decided to talk about it . As everyone says keep up the positive thinking and lets make life great . Its a shame that we all live so far apart but the forum is a great place for us to talk and share no matter how far apart we are . I hope thatsome people can takea littleofmy positive outlook and run with it
My wife loved your thread, she is facing eye surgery on Friday 2nd Feb. There is a chance she will loose eyesight in that eye due to a vary large tumor that is growing on it (the side of the eyeball hidden inside her eye socket). She rides her own bike and is afraid she will lose that.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad had MS for over 30 years, but he had few or no symptoms for part of that time. My brother has had it for 4 years and his biggest problem is fatigue and sometimes slurred speech. My dad rode when he was in his 20's but not after he was diagnosed. My brother has never ridden.

I have a freind with a BMW whose wife has a fairly aggressive case of MS. She has to use a walker or wheelchair to get around. Both of them toured on motorcycles all their lives so Butch researched and then had Hannigan in Murray, Ky install a sidecar on his BMW K1000. He even rigged a simple air conditioning system in it using an ice chest and simple pump for hot days. They still do a lot of trips and some camping so they have found a way to adapt to her illness. Best of luck to you and keep the faith.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

ORIGINAL: Knee

Thanks again to everyone for the support . I am glad I started this thread so we can all share a little about life and how short it truly is . My uncle had ALS so I feel for you and your sister . Also everyone else that has posted about something that is or is not MS I am glad you decided to talk about it . As everyone says keep up the positive thinking and lets make life great . Its a shame that we all live so far apart but the forum is a great place for us to talk and share no matter how far apart we are . I hope thatsome people can takea littleofmy positive outlook and run with it
My wife loved your thread, she is facing eye surgery on Friday 2nd Feb. There is a chance she will loose eyesight in that eye due to a vary large tumor that is growing on it (the side of the eyeball hidden inside her eye socket). She rides her own bike and is afraid she will lose that.
Yellowtang, if she does not regain her vision, she will adapt. It amazing what the body does to overcome adversity. I retired from a National Museum of Painted Faces here in DC. 20 of my 30 years with the museum I had my vision loss. A little at first with all the lower inside peripheral in both eyes gone. The Ophthalmologist thought at first I might have a Brain tumor at the Optic Chiasm (sp), where the two nerves meet, split and take half of each eye's vision to a half of the brain. Lucky or not, that weren't it. Every episode meant more vision loss till almost everyting in the left is gone. Just gray, can see the tips of two fingers, but not much else.
She doesn't have to give anything up. She will do it differently, and maybe not as well, but she will gain insights 'normal' folk will never have. Stay positive, support her, take her out as often as the weather permits when she is recovered. She can ride again.

Price.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/24416D7796C841319BB99F22560A12FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 PM
double t
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

knee

a good riding buddy has MS.Three years ago had his 99 RK converted to a Lehman trike,just fimishing a 113" build for it.He rides every day and well past the first snow.He always says "the best thing is I woke up this morning now let's ride.One day at a time brother"

Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
103FLHX
Road Master

My wifes best friend has had MS for 8 years or so.

It is such a varied disease. If you are able to ride your bike safely, then do it.

I think you are approaching life correctly. Do it now, you don't know what the future holds. None of us do.

Keep your head up & runner side down!

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bagger Bob ,
my wife also has crohn's (pretty severe) too many surgeries and drugs to mention, don't even know why I am saying this except its early in the morning and I couldn't sleep and it was kinda wierd seeing that someone else knows that scumbag name crohns.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Bagger Bob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

Bagger Bob ,
my wife also has crohn's (pretty severe) too many surgeries and drugs to mention, don't even know why I am saying this except its early in the morning and I couldn't sleep and it was kinda wierd seeing that someone else knows that scumbag name crohns.
I have severe insomnia as well so I know what its like not being able to sleep. Let's hope your wife goes into remission soon. Then enjoy what you can when you can.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Inspired
Stage I

Knee,
Opening your heart and sharing what you feel will make you stronger. 11 years is a long time to hold it in. I'm proud of you that you finally opened up. You getting another Harley spooked me, but you deserve to ride and feel free! In my heart, I know you'll be riding till you're an old man with yourbeautiful wife sitting behind you.
You are an inspiration for me. If you can get up everyday and be you, then we should all take a lesson from you. Live life one day at a time and enjoy it!
"The Past is a Thief", we can only move forward.
I'll ALWAYS be here for you! Love...

Old 01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Biker_RN48
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Katie

It is good to see how you guys aren't being defeated by this...
I think the only truth is that none of us knows when, or how, we are going to pass on... or what we will have to 'work with' until we do..be it from sickness, or a sudden car wreck. We have the choice to live what we have now, Fully alive.
That is so true.......... maybe I left that part out? I have seen 3 year olds to 101 year olds go, and nobody knew it was coming. I have had people say, bikes are dangerous..... yet I have seen hundreds and hundreds die while in a car, or on a bicycle.

Even when you are allegedly healthy and ok there are no guarantees.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I am proud to be a member of this forum! You guys are strong individuals. At 29 I have also faced some dissapointing setbacks. Nothing that will threaten my riding, for now, and as far as I am concerned, ever. I am going to live every day to the fullest so I can tell my grandchildren and great grandchildren about an exciting life. If I am not here to tell them, then someone will have to tell them the legacy of their Biker grandfather and how he loved life. I will not leave a legacy of a diseased man. I would be proud to ride with you all!

Quick Reply: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?