General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Bagger Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?

I don't have MS however I do have a couple of other chronic diseases, Crohn's and a severe case of insomnia. This message is not just for you but everyone. We often take our health for granted and we shouldn't. Instead we should be living every day to the maximum, at least to the best of our ability. We could wake up tomorrow and be hospitalized for the rest of our lives, wishing that we had done a long list of things that we never quite got around to.

Ridewhile you can and enjoy every minute!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Knee
Advanced

I am working. And I am coping with it as best as I can . If you were to meet me you would never know I have it . I get crazy tingling and numbness now and then but for the most part I am fine .The
disease[/align] plays with your mind . It makes you worry everytime you feel something like a tingle or if you are getting a cold. You are always wondering am I getting a cold or is this it ? Is something coming on ? I just try to pretend im fine and live life.Lately I have had insomniaalso where I cannot fall asleep no matter how tired I am . Once I fall asleep I might get a couple of hours worth then I am up and ready to go again. I am not sure if this is part of my MS and will have to ask my doctor As Bagger Bob said , YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMETHINGMIGHT HAPPEN . You go to bed one night healthy and someone flips a switch . You wake up sick. For those of you that are reading this and not replying Please dont think I am on here trying to bring you down . As I said in my first post , I have never talked about my MS since I was diagnosed to anyone but my family and doctor . But for some reason I have been reading this forum for the last month and find it very relaxing Sometimes funny and sometimes confusing. I just all of a sudden got this overwhelming feeling to talk about it. I wish everyone a very healthy life. But live it happy and for today[sm=smiley20.gif]
ORIGINAL: celtlion

I think it's great that you bring this up..I have a relative diagnosed with MS also 10 years ago. So how are you coping with your MS? Are you still able to work?

Old 01-27-2007, 12:40 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Knee... I hope this place does it for ya...
together we can all help each other out with our prob's
and seeing most of the country is at about 0 degrees,, well I guess its second best place to being in the saddle
youll read tons of info, just dont let any offend ya,,,I should know, people take me the wrong way at times.
glad to meet ya!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Biker_RN48
Tourer

Long winded, with good reason.

Knee,

I have worked in the E.R. for 7 years, then to PACU/surgery for 4 years.

I have seen people Dx with MS, and 25 years later you could never tell. I have seen people Dx with MS, and 2 years later they are doing horrible. I have seen it with a million things, cancer, heart failure, macular degeneration, Myasthinias Gravis, and the exact same thing for them all.
When people talk about modern medicine being amazing, I often think they have no clue. Sure when it comes to, anti-biotics for treating pneumonia (#1 cause of death prior tot he 1900's), and keeping people alive by removing their appendix, relieving a sub or epidural hematoma with surgery, having heart by pass, as well as a thousand other things.

However, those things only scratch the surface of what they actually understand. Nobody knows why MS, macular degeneration, cancer, lupus, ALSand so many other things occur? They talk about this risk factor and that risk factor. They have theories, and try to figure much of the stuff out. Gene mapping, genetics and exposures, but they don't always know and that's a fact.

I had a 34 year old girl in the ER with breast cancer, who came because of chest pain. She was a nurse up on the floor. You would have never known she had it, and hands dow would beat it. Six months later, she was gone. The same story with a 45 year old, except 15 years later she is fine and well.

There will ALWAYS be misdiagnoses also?

Bottom line, live it up and don't let it hold you down. Nobody knows for sure. You could go 40 more years without missing a beat. We are all behind you!!

Nice to see you post it somewhere, sometimes it helps to let it out.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

To: Knee, FLGEEZ, Bagger Bob and the rest here, I'de be damn proud to ride next to any one of you..............BG

Old 01-27-2007, 01:25 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

Knee, I respect your courage and honesty. My sister who is 50 was diagnosed with ALS about 6 months ago. The disease has advanced rapidly in the last few months to the point where she cannot walk. Unlike you she has given up completely. She is uncooperative in her theraphy and only talks about dying. I know it is not easy for her but she has given up.

I can't help but believe that a person's attitude and courage affects their overall condition. I hope that if something simular ever happens to me that I will have the courage to fight it every damn minute of the day.

Hang in there!

FD

Old 01-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

It is good to see how you guys aren't being defeated by this...
I think the only truth is that none of us knows when, or how, we are going to pass on... or what we will have to 'work with' until we do..be it from sickness, or a sudden car wreck. We have the choice to live what we have now, Fully alive.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: flakdog

Knee, I respect your courage and honesty. My sister who is 50 was diagnosed with ALS about 6 months ago. The disease has advanced rapidly in the last few months to the point where she cannot walk. Unlike you she has given up completely. She is uncooperative in her theraphy and only talks about dying. I know it is not easy for her but she has given up.

I can't help but believe that a person's attitude and courage affects their overall condition. I hope that if something simular ever happens to me that I will have the courage to fight it every damn minute of the day.

Hang in there!

FD
First, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. That's tough no matter how you look at it. Second, you are soooooooooooooooo right in the pivotal role a positive mental outlook can play in the healing process. It has been well documented that those individuals with a positive mental outlook and a strong sense of 'will' have shown marketed levels of improvement as opposed to those who have essentially surrendered themselves to whatever ailments/situation they've encountered.

We just never know when things are going to turn south for any one of us. Case in point, a few years back I went in for a routine wisdom tooth extraction. Simple enough, right? Well, turns out I caught an infection as a result of what 'the lawyers' believed to be unsanitary medical tools and procedures. I swelled up like a blowfish on my left side. Within hours, I couldn't even swallow a tiny drop of water and had labored breathing. In short order, I found myself at the emergency room.

They told me that I had to have an MRI done immediately. Huh? Well, as I rolled out of the MRI tube, there was a doctor/dentist (oral surgeon)/surgeon sitting on a stool at the opposite end waiting for me. Okay? He introduced himself and told me that if I didn't have surgery within the hour that I would not live to see the next three. My airway was pretty much 99.99% blocked as a result of the swelling and fluids laying idle in my throat.At this point, I'm dumbfounded. Prior to this point, I had never even been in a hospital (for myself) much less entertained the notion of surgery. So, there I go; whisked away to the OR. After surgery, I spent the next five days in the ICU before making it upstairs to a private room on the floor. All this for a tooth extraction gone wrong!

They say when something 'life changing' happens to you that you view things differently than before? You do. I recall sitting in my hospital room looking outside at all 'the healthy people' walking about and going about their business. I remember telling myself what I wouldn't give 'just to be outside' doing nothing but enjoying 'being outside'. From that point on, I've tried to live my life at an amplied level. I try and love my wife a bit more, appreciate my employees a bit more, enjoy a round of golf more, and relish being on my bike that much more. On the opposite end of the scale too, I find that I don't take a whole helluva' lot of crap from people bent on being mean/jerks/rude to me for no reason. Life's just too short to deal with that type in my opinion.

Knee, you're thread's working. You've inspired me, bro! Here's to nothing but good thingsfor you. We just never know what tomorrow has in store for us.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is not MS but I thought it might be and it scares me. I have had three different opinions and each one of them told me that it is not MS. I get what is called Migrane Induced Seizures. They happen about 2-3 times a year. I usually get them when I happen to look and watch someone playing certain video games. Then bam! I get this real sick feeling in my stomach and I get extreme verdigo. These eposodes usually last about 3-4 days in which it is almost impossible to stand let alone walk. I know that this doesn't affect my riding, but I have wondered if for some reason someday it might and that scares me.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Knee
Advanced

Thanks again to everyone for the support . I am glad I started this thread so we can all share a little about life and how short it truly is . My uncle had ALS so I feel for you and your sister . Also everyone else that has posted about something that is or is not MS I am glad you decided to talk about it . As everyone says keep up the positive thinking and lets make life great . Its a shame that we all live so far apart but the forum is a great place for us to talk and share no matter how far apart we are . I hope thatsome people can takea littleofmy positive outlook and run with it

Quick Reply: Multiple Sclerosis and Bikes . Anyone have it ?