General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heart Attack sidelines my rides with Grandson

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course you all are right in you answers. We will ride again. And I do feel better than I did before Tuesday. Yes minor damage thank God.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck on healing up. You two will be out riding before you know it.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm glad you're alright. I had my MI 3 years ago. A fairly serious one. They put in 2 stents. I didn't listen to my doctors and didn't take it easy. I went back to a normal routine the day I left the hospital 3 days after my heart attack. As a result my health has suffered. I now have emphysema and congestive heart failure all from my own doings.

You're fortunate that you have a family and that grandson. Do what's right for your health and you'll ride with all of them for years to come. That little white lie won't harm him. You did the right thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I just had to look in my wallet at the card they give you when you have a stent put in (your supposed to carry it with you) to see exactly when I had my heart attack. November 4, 2007. Since then I've been in the best condition I've been in for quite awhile. Watch what I eat, get plenty of exercise. I've lost 30 pounds, my blood pressure is perfect and for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE my colesterhol counts are normal. I've gone on a 4 to 5K mile bike trip stating the day after labor day every year for the past 4 years. And, I still take my grandson on short rides. I don't expect to have another heart attack as they check my arteries every year and my heart is healthy. I'm guessing that when you had your heart attack, like me, you didn't keel over. I was at the dump getting rid of a load of hardwood flooring we had removed from my daughters house. I felt some pain, it wnet away and I finished unloading. In my case, I refused to accept that I had a heart attack. If it wasn't for my wife calling my daughter because I was "acting funny" (just sitting in my chair in the den with the lights off, saying I was just tired) and my daughter saying I either go to the emergency room to get checked or she was calling 911, I probably wouldn't have done anything and had a worse heart attack later. So, to sum up this long post. Take care of yourself, have regular checkups and you'll be better than you were before the episode. Take care and ride safe. You've got lots of years left.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 PM
trout31
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
... I didn't listen to my doctors and didn't take it easy. I went back to a normal routine the day I left the hospital 3 days after my heart attack. As a result my health has suffered. I now have emphysema and congestive heart failure all from my own doings.
Hey baka1969 who told you that you gave yourself emphysema and heart failure by not taking it easy for long enough? I am skeptical of that. Don't blame yourself.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by trout31
Hey baka1969 who told you that you gave yourself emphysema and heart failure by not taking it easy for long enough? I am skeptical of that. Don't blame yourself.
I've been smoking for almost 30 years. That caused the emphysema. I never (and still don't) take any of my heart meds. I have caused my own issues.

There is emphysema three generations back on my mother's side and heart issues several generations back on my father's. My grandfather had his first heart attack at 40. My father at 35. Mine at 40. My brother is 35 now. He'll need a valve replacement within the next couple of years. I also have valve issues. MVP. Bad DNA from both parents have also played it's roll I suppose.

As for the card someone mentioned because they had stents? I had mine done in 2009 almost 3 years to the date. There was no card given. I think someone's trying to pull somebody's leg. Lol.

To the OP, do not follow my poor example. Do whatever you're supposed to do to heal up and get better. Your family is counting on it.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,675 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I went riding the same day I had my stents put in, even though Dr. said no. Main reason was because a minor accident could result in my bleeding to death since i was on Plavix & Coumadin for a few months after.

You are now gonna be monitored by a cardiologist, so you prolly ARE healthier now, like the one poster said. When you feel up to it--take him around the block, or very local for awhile. Gonna be too cold to ride up there anyway in a couple weeks, if not already.

BTW the DO give you card--mine had bar codes on it & said "Cordis". They fell apart after a couple years.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what your going thru. Just had a quadruple by-pass on July 27th & both grandkids are anxious to get back on the bike with me. Told them Dr. said i need to ride solo for a few months til i get my strength back. Told them may be spring before i'm able to take them. They've accepted that for now.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

hope you recover quickly and feel well real soon. Don't go on a guilt trip, focus on your health.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Good thing that you are on the mend.

Did your cardiologist prescribe Cardiac Rehab? It's a great program.

Sammi

Quick Reply: Heart Attack sidelines my rides with Grandson