General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safer without a helmet - Article

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
..... I wanted to see how long it would take you to realize saying your brain was standing still wasn't the way it works......
Thank you for educating me. It's aalmost as if YOU were at the accident and I wasn't.

My BioMed profs probably already thought they educated me when we covered it dozens of times. I missed alot when I was getting straight 'A's in college, but I didn't miss that. I knew about brain injuries by the time I got to them, since I was racing several times a year then and the HANS device was first catching on.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Just trying to show you that you can't generalize. Repectfully, of course.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 10-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well well well, The problem here is that I'll bet most of you have not had a accident where you went down at a significant speed. And if you did and were not wearing a lid, did not get hurt, well you had better start playing the lottery big time. If you have a competition between the pavement and your skull, they pavement will win every time. I know from personal exp. It isn't pleasent at all. I have no problem with people that choose to ride lidless, personal choice. Do not tell me that helmets don't save lives....no study will show that. And to the remarks that the neck muscles arn not strong enough to support helmets, what, you have a 50# helmet??? I have a carbon fib. 1/2 and it weighs nothing....You can live without some organs but last I checked, the brain isn't one of them....

Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Timekeeper10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I should just sell the bike, I'm sure it would be safer.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Timekeeper10
Maybe I should just sell the bike, I'm sure it would be safer.
Would you play tackle football without a helmet?

Ever race? You don't get on the track without one either.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Everyone on this forum would wear a helmet if the absolutely knew they were going to have a wreck. It is a tool to prevent head injury.
Helmets also protect from wind noise, harsh sunlight, bugs, and flying debris.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rdunnill
Helmets also protect from wind noise, harsh sunlight, bugs, and flying debris.
And excessive water loss and heat too.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I'm all for freedom of choice, but I sure am glad I slipped on my half shell last weekend. Took a walnut the size of a baseball (at least that's what it felt like) off the old noggin. Rang my bell pretty good, and I hate to think of what it would have felt like had I been sans helmet.
Yep, and it's road-apple season. I ride under a couple heavily loaded trees on my ride to work and they're littered on the road as well. These things would knock you out.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kcdowning
Wearing a helmet is a personal choice. I dont care who wears a helmet and who doesnt but using crappy data to support an argument drives me crazy. There is no way the lack of a helmet law decreased rider deaths. That is the same math that Congress uses. Using arguments like this to support getting rid of helmet makes it harder when the data shows an increase in deaths. It is a personal choice issue not a safety issue.
Agree when it comes to the crappy data we all get stuffed down our throats.Personally have always felt much safer without a skid lid.Back in the 70's when UBM was formed in Maine to fight the newly inacted helmet law.Learned a lot of truths about things we never hear about.The law, the media, never announces how many are injured or die because of wearing a helmet,what does that say about data!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I am for personal choice as long as you have enough health insurance so taxpayers don't have to pay for the ripple effect of your choice. I will say I have recently had one friend commit suicide and my wife's friends just died from head trauma (not vehicle related, a bar fight). I will tell tell you that witnessing the ripple effects of the death is pretty hard to deal with. Especially on the kids. My point is, please realize that your choice effects more than just you.

Quick Reply: Safer without a helmet - Article