General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear Gerrbing vs First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
As someone covered in heated gear from head to toe, here's my recommendation.
Skip the $195 HD branded heated gloves. Unless you want to spring for the battery packs and go that route.
Take the gift card and get the HD Dual Controller. You'll want the dual controller because once you know how nice the gloves are, you'll get the jacket liner sooner than you think. Plus, having the jacket liner eliminates the funky cord going to each glove. (the jacket is wired for the gloves to plug into)

Then get the Gerbings redesigned G3 Gloves
The new G3's (with the 90 degree molded plug) have heating elements on both sides of the hand. I got them a month ago and only used them once, but like them better than my Gerbings T5.

The problem with the battery powered stuff is you can't change the heat settings on the fly. If you set the power level for highway comfort, they'll be too warm once you slow down. Or too cold on the highway if you start with a lower power setting. Not to mention limited battery life (without plugging in) and charging the battery packs.

My $.02

Your post came 50 minutes too late. I headed out to bike night at the Fort (HD dealer) before I saw this. I ordered the part # 98323-09VM
gloves. The description reads similar to the T3 gloves, how each finger and thumb as well as back of hand have a heating wire. I hope the cuff is as short as it looks in the picture, I don't care for the long gauntlet styles. Either way, I'll give them a shot. I was looking at the controlers, and I'll end up getting one I'm sure, though I'm not sure about the jacket liner. I don't typically ride in real cold weather (30s), but I'll ride with temps in the mid 40s, but like I said my hands will freeze even in those temps in the 12 miles to the work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1
The description reads similar to the T3 gloves,
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the gloves. The HD stuff is made my Gerbings, just comes with the special HD price tag.
I've wore the jacket liner without turning it on just because I didn't want the hassle of running the 3 way cord down each sleeve for the gloves.

Welcome to the warmer side. lol

Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1
So I've pondered heated gloves for a while now. But this morning riding in was the last draw for me. It wasn't even really cold, mid 40s. Everything else was fine but my hands were ice. I have a gift card from my local HD dealer that has $125 on it and I am going put it towards heated gloves.

Anyone have any feed back on the ones that can run off either the bike or rechargable lithium batteries? There is only about a $20 difference between the ones that can use both and the one that only runs off the bike. You have to buy the batteries seperate $100 with batts and charger, but I'm thinking if the life on the battery is decent they would work good for going to work in the mornings and I could use them away from the bike if I needed to.
The lithium powerpacks only last a few hours.And you have to recharge for each use,rather than just plug in. If you're on a deer stand,or something else,in the field,then portable power is an option.On the bike,just plug and go,and fuggeddaboudit.