General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear Gerrbing vs First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

The new G3's get plenty hot...

Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Looking into gerbings myself, anyone have any experience or recomendations on going with the G3 or G5 gloves. The coldest temps I see are around the low 20's and occasionally the high teens.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Hammer71
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soft02, What the hell happened there? Looks like a wire issue, send em back and they will replace em. Had that issue with my jacket and they replaced it within a week.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer71
Soft02, What the hell happened there? Looks like a wire issue, send em back and they will replace em. Had that issue with my jacket and they replaced it within a week.
Posted pics a few times. I left them on while they were sitting on my seat for 4 hours with the wrong fuze in the harness.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Looking into gerbings myself, anyone have any experience or recomendations on going with the G3 or G5 gloves. The coldest temps I see are around the low 20's and occasionally the high teens.
I have both, the G3 & T5. I prefer the NEW G3's with the 90 degree plug on the end.
They have heating elements on both sides of the hand while the straight plug is only heated on the back side.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been putting off heated gear but.. I think if Gerbing is down at Timonium this year.. I'll be coming home with stuff..

mavrick

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mavrickFLHR
.. I think if Gerbing is down at Timonium this year.. I'll be coming home with stuff..
If you're in SE PA, then Street MD probably isn't far from you. Take a trip over by John and you'll have lots of stuff to pick from. If you're looking for the outerwear jacket & pants, you might wanna hurry. If you look at the Gerbings website, they are not selling the outerwear right now. According to John, something about manufacturing changes so those items are limited to in stock items. But jacket liners, gloves, controllers, etc are good-to-go.

http://www.heatedclothing4u.com/

Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I am thanks for the heads up.

mavrick

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've pondered heated gloves for a while now. But this morning riding in was the last draw for me. It wasn't even really cold, mid 40s. Everything else was fine but my hands were ice. I have a gift card from my local HD dealer that has $125 on it and I am going put it towards heated gloves.

Anyone have any feed back on the ones that can run off either the bike or rechargable lithium batteries? There is only about a $20 difference between the ones that can use both and the one that only runs off the bike. You have to buy the batteries seperate $100 with batts and charger, but I'm thinking if the life on the battery is decent they would work good for going to work in the mornings and I could use them away from the bike if I needed to.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CB1
I have a gift card from my local HD dealer that has $125 on it.
As someone covered in heated gear from head to toe, here's my recommendation.
Skip the $195 HD branded heated gloves. Unless you want to spring for the battery packs and go that route.
Take the gift card and get the HD Dual Controller. You'll want the dual controller because once you know how nice the gloves are, you'll get the jacket liner sooner than you think. Plus, having the jacket liner eliminates the funky cord going to each glove. (the jacket is wired for the gloves to plug into)

Then get the Gerbings redesigned G3 Gloves
The new G3's (with the 90 degree molded plug) have heating elements on both sides of the hand. I got them a month ago and only used them once, but like them better than my Gerbings T5.

The problem with the battery powered stuff is you can't change the heat settings on the fly. If you set the power level for highway comfort, they'll be too warm once you slow down. Or too cold on the highway if you start with a lower power setting. Not to mention limited battery life (without plugging in) and charging the battery packs.

My $.02

Quick Reply: Heated Gear Gerrbing vs First Gear