General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear Gerrbing vs First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 AM
ArgusDave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. I was told by a friend to watch how much I am taking from the charging system not to drain the battery. I would not think it an issue on a 09 Heritage with a new regulator, battery, and stater.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ArgusDave
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. I was told by a friend to watch how much I am taking from the charging system not to drain the battery. I would not think it an issue on a 09 Heritage with a new regulator, battery, and stater.
You have a 45 amp 3 phase system. You could run every piece of gear from head to toe and be fine as long as the engine is running.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Many of Gerbings microwire gLoves (which includes Harley-Davidson branded) only heat on the back side! Be VERY careful what you're buying because Gerbings claims that this is not a defect even though their current production does heat on both sides!

When youre buying the gloves, tell them you only want the gloves with a 90 angle on the connector plug. These ore the ones with heat on palm AND back. Tons of time here with my Gerbing gear. wouldnt buy anything else.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ArgusDave
. I was told by a friend to watch how much I am taking from the charging system not to drain the battery.
If your friend rides a metric, he has a point. But HD has tons of power and its not an issue. Wifey & I run a lot of Gerbings gear off the original 05 charging system without a problem yet.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer71
Gerbings, jacket, pants,gloves and socks with dual controller.
I bought the same setup except I have the jacket liner, not the jacket. On a recent long trip I had the opportunity to use them for the first time. The jacket liner is outstanding. The pants work well for warmth but they are really bulky. The gloves were okay at around 40 degrees but I'm worried they aren't going to be very effective below that temp. Didn't try the socks yet. I can't answer how they compare to FirstGear.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Gerbings gloves, jacket liner and insoles they are outstanding!!!

I have the FirstGear pant liners, they are much thinner than the Gerbing and work very well. They are more like a pair of thermals with heat in them,

Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Ultra T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Gerbings from neck to toe here. Bought the FirstGear/Warm&Safe wireless controller recently, but I'll carry the Gerbings dual controller along in case something goes hairy with the wireless one.
I have the exact same setup. Love it. That and a full face I can ride all winter as long as there's no ice or salt.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
ArgusDave
Advanced

You all are the best thanks for helping me decide.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I'm glad to see all the positives for Gerbings.I just recieved the jacket liner and dual control,looking foward to trying it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 832 Posts

I've had Warm-N-Safe (which I believe make the First gear stuff) for a few years, along with their dual controller. Has always worked flawlessly. I do wish the gauntlet on the gloves were a little bigger though.

Quick Reply: Heated Gear Gerrbing vs First Gear