General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifetime Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lifetime Oil Filter

I had one a few years back that I used on a performance 180 HP ZX12R and it seemed to work well. It was made by a company that makes bike performance parts but I can't think of the name at the moment. I use Amsoil & K&N oil filtersthat I change evey 1500-2000 miles.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dick Johnson

Don't get me wrong......oil filters are a great thing,but I cant justify $200 for a filter when you toss away a $10 filter. Maybe there is a horsepower gain, but if you believe every vendors claim of increased horsepower.....we would all be driving around on 250 HP machines.
Dick

I know they are expensive and I've not even given any thought at all to some miniscule gain in h.p. that I could probably match with just seeing that my tires are inflated properly!

If you’re looking substantial gains in h.p. you need a bigger motor or soup up the one you have with something other than an oil filter!

Try heads, cams, cubic inches!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

not for 200 bucks,Heads,Cams Etc.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HD7585

not for 200 bucks,Heads,Cams Etc.
True.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 AM
scarnay
Road Master

Not for me.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 AM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HD7585

BikeWorks magazine Just tested this filter. Not only dose it cool the oil, but the oil flow is so superior that when the same HD was put on the dyno first with a HD filter then with this filter....The engine gained 4to5 HP With this filter on. 200 bucks for a 5HP gain plus a oil cooler aint all that bad.
That isn't saying much. You could take the same bike, with absolutly no changes throughout the day, on the same dyno, and get a 3 to 7 hp difference at any given time of day. Cosidering engine temp, ambient temp, humidity, barometric pressure, blah, blah, blah can have that much of an effect on a dyno test.

Rick

Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The bike wasn't even taken off the Dyno........The oil and filter were changed and The bike put out 5 more horses........This was done in a short period of time between test........Good enough for me.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Would you recommend one of th e K&P re-usable filters instead of the best element/disposable filter, like the new AMSOIL EA ones, a K&N, or a Mobil 1? Sure seems like a good idea, the filter that is.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

No one disagrees that better filtration is....well, better. However, my concern with the life-time filter would be cleaning it. Who wants to clean a filter and how will you be sure its clean. I want a filter that I know is doing a stellar job and I want it to do it for a long time.

AMSOIL has the filter thing going on in my opinion. Thier new EA filters are 100% synthetic Nano-Fiber media not paper or cellulose. This Nano-Fiber technology give the media more uniform and more pores per square inch, giving the filter better flow and efficiency of 98.7% at 15 microns. The filter is not depth loading like paper or cellulose, so it has a greater capacity to hold dirt and contaminants while continuing to filter at peak efficiency for longer periods of time compared to paper or cellulose allowing extended drain intervals. The Nano-Fiber media is backed by a steel mesh screen to ensure the media does not come apart or collapse like paper or cellulose can. I think AMSOIL has covered all the bases on filtration.

Steve
“sedbiker62”

“No one disagrees that better filtration is....well, better. However, my concern with the life-time filter would be cleaning it. Who wants to clean a filter and how will you be sure its clean. I want a filter that I know is doing a stellar job and I want it to do it for a long time.”

“AMSOIL has the filter thing going on in my opinion. Thier new EA filters are 100% synthetic Nano-Fiber media not paper or cellulose. This Nano-Fiber technology give the media more uniform and more pores per square inch, giving the filter better flow and efficiency of 98.7% at 15 microns. The filter is not depth loading like paper or cellulose, so it has a greater capacity to hold dirt and contaminants while continuing to filter at peak efficiency for longer periods of time compared to paper or cellulose allowing extended drain intervals. The Nano-Fiber media is backed by a steel mesh screen to ensure the media does not come apart or collapse like paper or cellulose can. I think AMSOIL has covered all the bases on filtration.”

“Bighorse”

“I had one a few years back that I used on a performance 180 HP ZX12R and it seemed to work well. It was made by a company that makes bike performance parts but I can't think of the name at the moment. I use Amsoil & K&N oil filters that I change evey 1500-2000 miles.”

Guys,

Seems you both use AMSOIL since I am in process of changing over to a new engine I was thinking going with synthetic since the manufacture is sending Mobile 1 with the engine, after checking out AMSOIL seems to be a little better than Mobile 1, and other brands so I might run the mobile for the first 50 miles then dump it and jump over to AMSOIL.

[font="times new roman"][color=#0000cc][size=3]My question is, is it really that good ? I did read that running synthetic right from the get go isn’t a big deal, I always thought of the break i